• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece And Wee Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ok, my piggies have move to fleece, trouble is they sleep in hay and it is very very wet after one day with wee.. the hay is embedded and looks like its need going to come out in the wash.. any tips? i am thinking of putting their hay in a tray in one area not where they sleep but will they be warm enough at night? they are outside piggies x

:D Yes, it can be difficult to remove hay seeds from fleece. Some people use a slicker brush for dogs to brush out the bits stuck in. Or you could use a rubber brush. You can get them from Wilko or Lakeland Limited. Perhaps you could remove the fleece from their sleeping area, and just have their hay on top of some other type of bedding, like Fitch or paper pellets or ordinary towels. Do they still have hay to eat in racks? Hay racks keep the hay clean and it cannot be peed on. Hope this helps.:tu:

I have fleece in my outdoor hutch and just keep the hay in a litter tray in the main area. Otherwise like you're experiencing its a nightmare to remove the hay and wet parts. In the bedding area I use fleece cosys and rolled up fleece blankets which they snuggle into and keep warm :)

I use fleece in outdoor hutches. I use pet litter trays filled with hay and newspaper, they do wee in them a lot but I clean them out everyday so they stay fresh. I am also going to make some hay bags to keep fresh hay available for eating at all times.

Thanks for the tips... I decided to go for the litter tray, got one last night and filled it with fresh hay.. They loved it ! They jumped in it and did most of their wee in there overnight.. Just washed it all out and put fresh hay in, prob need to put paper or something in the bottom to soak up the wee throughout the day thou.. They had completely moved it from where I left it last night ! Hay bags sounds like a good idea too, will have to look how to make one of those. The fleece that was covered in wet wee hay has washed ok but would not have one so soaked again.. Might make a mini cage liner for the bottom of the litter tray same as their cage liners .. Has anyone used those puppy training pads? Was thinking of using those and cutting to size just for the bottom of it maybe?

I use hay trays. I put Aubiose bedding in the bottom . I change the hay daily and the Aubiose once or twice a week.

Puppy pads are quite good - but I advise you cover puppy pads with fleece or bedding as guinea pigs tend to chew them otherwise

I use hay trays. I put Aubiose bedding in the bottom . I change the hay daily and the Aubiose once or twice a week.

Puppy pads are quite good - but I advise you cover puppy pads with fleece or bedding as guinea pigs tend to chew them otherwise
Can you pick the poo easily out of the Aubiouse bedding?

:DI do not use Aubiose bedding, which is finely chopped hemp. I would think it would be very difficult and time-consuming to pick droppings out of it. A complete clean-out once or twice a week would be easier. People who use it may have other ways of cleaning out. :tu:

I use auboise then hay in the litter trays and just clean the litter trays every day

i have just put a washable pad with some fleece on top inside it, so if they sit in it, they won't get wee all over them.. they like the tray, so easy to just empty and wash out and re fill !

Hi! I'm a newbie to the forum but loving all the info i am learning! I have 2 boars who sadly are not friends so I have just ordered a 5x2ft 2 tier hutch for them. I am interested in trying fleece in the hutch rather than traditional bedding. I have looked at lots and lots of threads and all over the internet on fleece liners etc and what to use. I am quite confident (i think) in knowing what I'm doing in regards to that. My question is if using it in the winter (hutch will be outside, not in a shed but covered and insulated) will the fleece get damp from the cold air and make the piggies damp?

I am thinking my fleece set up would be puppy pads, then on top of that washable incontinence pads, and then homemade fleece lines (2 pieces of fleece with mattress protector in-between) on top of that. If the cold air makes the the fleece damp I don't really want to be changing the whole set up everyday! I will make extra pee pads for high peeing areas that i will change daily if needed although i will have toilet tray thing like described earlier.

Has anyone experienced fleece over winter in an outdoor hutch?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the tips... I decided to go for the litter tray, got one last night and filled it with fresh hay.. They loved it ! They jumped in it and did most of their wee in there overnight.. Just washed it all out and put fresh hay in, prob need to put paper or something in the bottom to soak up the wee throughout the day thou.. They had completely moved it from where I left it last night ! Hay bags sounds like a good idea too, will have to look how to make one of those. The fleece that was covered in wet wee hay has washed ok but would not have one so soaked again.. Might make a mini cage liner for the bottom of the litter tray same as their cage liners .. Has anyone used those puppy training pads? Was thinking of using those and cutting to size just for the bottom of it maybe?

I just puppy pads under my fleece and find it works really well, you can just change them when they start to get saturated or double them up in areas where you know they pee a lot (usually corners, and areas with lots of hay). They do have to be well covered or my Nelson chews them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back