Fleece bedding alternatives

Poppiespigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 27, 2024
Messages
17
Reaction score
5
Points
180
Location
Surrey
Hiya

I have an 6x2 L shape c&c cage with a loft. My 3 sows are currently on fleece, which for the last 3 years has been fine. I used to work nights and could wash their fleece in the industrial washing machine at work and let them dry over night.

The problem is now I’ve changed jobs to days and my little washing machine isn’t coping with the all the family washing and then the fleece bedding as well. And I don’t have much time to wash and dry before I need to clean them.

I was thinking Auboise bedding again but I’m not sure. I will still have those fleece hoses and the fleece liner for their loft and ramp. But I’m not sure as haven’t used it before.

Anyone else changed from fleece to something else?
 
My piggies live outside in a shed so I have only ever used disposable bedding.

I’ve tried many over the years - shavings, aubiose, softchip, megazorb etc
I mostly use softchip or shavings.

Aubiose is good: the only reason I stopped using it was price (it’s more expensive than shavings or soft chip) and lack of availability.
 
Having 9 pigs fleece bedding became too much for my washer too, so I moved onto snowflake shavings. The pigs are fine on these. I tried softchip but it had some very sharp bits in it and I got splinters, so who knows what it would do to the pigs feet. I always put a layer of hay over the shavings when I’ve cleaned out as well.
 
I use Auboise, though for gerbils and before them, a hamster.

I plan to use it for Guinea pigs when I get them too, it's great at absorbing urine and you don't get much smell, either from the urine soaked bedding (the only smell I got was damp forest floor smell), or the dry bedding (I don't smell anything and I have a sensitive sense of smell).

It's not soft enough for a bedding area so you might like to add something softer for sleep areas, but otherwise it's great stuff.
 
Back
Top