• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece Bedding Getting Very Wet

Butterfluf

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently bought a few fleece pet blankets and washed and dried them before use, when I tested them water seemed to go through. I have bathmats underneath the fleece to absorb their pee, but every day or every 2 days there are areas of the cage that seem very wet :/ I don't use fabric softener just the powder and put them in the drier to dry. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong so that I can have the ideal flooring for my Guinea pigs that is comfortable and soft for them. Thanks for any advice!

I have to be honest and say that I use smaller fleece pads in the high pee areas.
These get changed at least every second day and sometimes every day.
The smaller pads on top of the full liner make daily cleaning easy, and mean I often get 7 - 10 days out of an entire liner as long as I freshen up the pads regularly.

I have to be honest and say that I use smaller fleece pads in the high pee areas.
These get changed at least every second day and sometimes every day.
The smaller pads on top of the full liner make daily cleaning easy, and mean I often get 7 - 10 days out of an entire liner as long as I freshen up the pads regularly.
So you'd recommend another fleece just on their main pee area? So double fleece and the bathmat underneath? Thanks for replying :)

I’d say make the pee pads waterproof. So a waterproof layer sandwiched between two pieces of fleece. If you have several you can change them out regularly. Or you can buy them. There’s a list of people who sell fleece things here, can’t link at the moment though.

As already mentioned, add some pee pads to areas where your piggies prefer to go to the toilet.

I've attached a photo of my setup (taken me a while to test/try different things). The yellow square is where I have a pee pad, hard to see as its the same fleece as the liner underneath.

I use a fleece liner on the bottom of the cage, with puppy pads underneath (absorb any wee that seeps through the liner). On top of the liner, I have another small liner in their house to make it comfy and incase they occasionally wee in there and another liner that i put next to the red tray in the photo, as this is where my piggies have decided to use as a toilet. The red tray is a cat litter tray i fill with wood shavings to put their hay inside and they also use this as a toilet.
(I use zorb inside my liners, its quite expensive to source in the U.K. but i found it worked well with me, however i haven't tried using anything else).

I've found that through this method, the longest i've gone without changing the liner is 9 days. I change the smaller pee pad liner every 2 days as this gets soaked quite quickly. I change the wood shavings in the tray twice a week and usually freshen it daily when giving fresh food/hay/water.

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    232 KB · Views: 20
  • image1-2 copy.png
    image1-2 copy.png
    350.1 KB · Views: 19
As already mentioned, add some pee pads to areas where your piggies prefer to go to the toilet.

I've attached a photo of my setup (taken me a while to test/try different things). The yellow square is where I have a pee pad, hard to see as its the same fleece as the liner underneath.

I use a fleece liner on the bottom of the cage, with puppy pads underneath (absorb any wee that seeps through the liner). On top of the liner, I have another small liner in their house to make it comfy and incase they occasionally wee in there and another liner that i put next to the red tray in the photo, as this is where my piggies have decided to use as a toilet. The red tray is a cat litter tray i fill with wood shavings to put their hay inside and they also use this as a toilet.
(I use zorb inside my liners, its quite expensive to source in the U.K. but i found it worked well with me, however i haven't tried using anything else).

I've found that through this method, the longest i've gone without changing the liner is 9 days. I change the smaller pee pad liner every 2 days as this gets soaked quite quickly. I change the wood shavings in the tray twice a week and usually freshen it daily when giving fresh food/hay/water.
Thank you very much its very helpful I have some pee pad type things that I can try with. :)

I also have layers. A cage liner on the bottom (fleece, absorbent layer and fleece all sewn together) and a mini version of the same in high traffic areas eg under their dolls beds!

P_20181208_115906.jpg

Back