• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece Bedding In An Outdoor Hutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RingoandOlly

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

My piggies currently live in an outdoor double hutch and I really want to change their bedding from wood shavings to fleece and I wondered if anyone else uses fleece in an outdoor hutch?
Also, where can you buy it at a good cost?
Do I need some kind of lining to hold it down?
How would it change my cleaning routine?
Does it ever go mouldy?
What happens if the pigs chew it?

Thank you to anyone who can answer any one of these questions; sorry that there are so many!
x

I used fleece for a brief while in my 2 storey 6ft hutch but soon gave up. I made the liners myself but found I had to weight them down to stop the piggies for burrowing underneath them! I also found they held the wee too much and needed changing and washing too regularly for my liking. I switched to aubiose instead which is a wood chipping rather than shaving and I have found this much better for the hutch

I used fleece for a brief while in my 2 storey 6ft hutch but soon gave up. I made the liners myself but found I had to weight them down to stop the piggies for burrowing underneath them! I also found they held the wee too much and needed changing and washing too regularly for my liking. I switched to aubiose instead which is a wood chipping rather than shaving and I have found this much better for the hutch

Thanks

But I'd still like to try it out for a while. Can anyone answer any of the other questions? Thanks! x

I use fleece in 6ft two tier hutch outside. Housed in a shed.
Mine have never chewed it and not heard of other ppls pigs doing it either.
Mine hasn't ever gone mouldy and you don't need anything to hold it down. I've ordered some from ziggys piggies as they have been the best price and are well made and I've made some myself.
Spot clean twice a day, change and disinfect once a week and have extra liners in toileted area I change every 2-3 days.

I use fleece in 6ft two tier hutch outside. Housed in a shed.
Mine have never chewed it and not heard of other ppls pigs doing it either.
Mine hasn't ever gone mouldy and you don't need anything to hold it down. I've ordered some from ziggys piggies as they have been the best price and are well made and I've made some myself.
Spot clean twice a day, change and disinfect once a week and have extra liners in toileted area I change every 2-3 days.

Thanks! What do you use for the liners? x

I too use aubiose however recently Captain Jack has required some extra comforts. Currently he has one side of the hutch with aubiose and then carpeted, with fleece over the top. I've got a plastic corner tray for hay. No problems with keeping it down.

I use fleece indoors. I have zorb in one and two layers of cotton mattress protector in the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back