Fleece bedding V.s Normal bedding

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It’s a very personal thing - it’s not a case that one is better than the other. There are pros and cons to both
it depends on how easy it is for you to dispose of disposable bedding and how much time you have to be washing fleeces.

my piggies live in my shed and are on disposable bedding in winter and fleece in summer (with the absorbent layer being puppy pads rather than proper fleece liners with the absorbent layer stitched in) . I like them both for their own qualities but they both have an element of ease and hard work about them!

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Last edited:

Kellykels

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've used both and I agree with @Piggies&buns It depends on what suits you and your life style. How clean your pigs are, the area you have to cover etc.

Fleeces are expensive in one go, but I was paying £15 per 1 week and half for carefresh paper bedding and the fleece soon paid for itself.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If I got fleece bedding how often would I need to clean their inclosure?
anywhere from every 3-5 days for a full bedding change. It depends on the size of your cage (the smaller the cage the more often they’ll need cleaning out). It will need to be poop picked at least once a day regardless of what type of bedding you use

the links to the guide I put in my first post and this one here explain further information on types of bedding

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Zanzan

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Disposable works for me because my house is so small there wouldn't be anywhere to dry fleeces. Like people say, different options work for different people.

Tara95

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I absolutely love fleece and I don't spend alot of money on it. Each fleece I buy is very pretty, soft, good size and good value! You need to use polar fleeces, they're 2.99 each. I think primark to them but I get mine from my local garden centre the cherry tree barn. I also ordered some really pretty butterfly polar fleeces from the online home shop! I don't have any good pictures of the fleece but it is lovely, here it is. (See picture Attached) It can be flattened but I always give mine an extra layer so they can hide under it (with it pegged to one side) it was 2.99 per fleece and I brought quite a few! I always use puppy pads underneath and only change them if needed. I don't like to waste them. They can be quite pricey but I get a packet of 105 for £10 from the cherry tree barn my local garden centre and it lasts me forever! Best of luck!IMG_20201124_231454_746.jpg

flowerfairy

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I use fleece cage liners (fleece, zorb fleece or fleece, mattress protector fleece) in most of my cage with extra smaller mats in high traffic areas such as under their beds.

They also have grow bag hay trays lined with newspaper and a wooden magazine rack full of hay on the trays.

Engel

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Think it depends on where pigs are kept. How many pigs you have as well as the size of enclosure and most importantly personal preference. I've used both loose substrate and fleece. As my pigs are indoors for the time being fleece is working very well for me. But when they go outside they'll be on loose substrate until warmer weather

curlykrish

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would add that it also depends on your pigges. I have two boars in separate cages, and one is very "neat" and poops in certain areas and doesnt chuck is hay around everywhere, so for him, i have a pile of hay on a fleece pee pad, and the rest of his cage is all fleece with extra fleece pee pads in places he likes to poop. The other guy likes to chuck his hay around everywhere, lay in it, wee in it and poop in it....and with the fleece it was just getting too messy, so he has a large grow tray with back to nature bedding and lots of hay...at one end, and a cozy fleece area the other, which makes cleaning his area much easier now. I do spot cleans twice a day on all the fleece areas, and once in the hay tray where i scoop out the soiled bits and replace. I only do a full clean once a week as in between i replace the soiled fleece pee pads every 2 days, so the main fleece doesnt really get dirty. The hay tray guy's cage is quicker to clean as i dont have to brush hay off all the fleece, downside is having to buy back to nature bedding, whereas the fleeces are re-usable, its just the upfront expense.

YorkshireLass

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got my fleeces from an online fabric shop 18 months ago and compared to those I see in photos on here, they are very thin and can get smelly quite fast, even though pee is going through to the pads. Should I be getting the ones you see rolled up for gifts, from a cheap shop, as mine certainly weren‘t £3 each?

Eviolus-

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If I got fleece bedding how often would I need to clean their inclosure?
Depends on if you layer fleeces and how often you spot clean. I change once a week but have blankets on the top layer that I change more regularly to keep them clean

Eviolus-

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got my fleeces from an online fabric shop 18 months ago and compared to those I see in photos on here, they are very thin and can get smelly quite fast, even though pee is going through to the pads. Should I be getting the ones you see rolled up for gifts, from a cheap shop, as mine certainly weren‘t £3 each?
I recommend getting premade liners and putting the thin blankets on top of that

Eviolus-

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I absolutely love fleece and I don't spend alot of money on it. Each fleece I buy is very pretty, soft, good size and good value! You need to use polar fleeces, they're 2.99 each. I think primark to them but I get mine from my local garden centre the cherry tree barn. I also ordered some really pretty butterfly polar fleeces from the online home shop! I don't have any good pictures of the fleece but it is lovely, here it is. (See picture Attached) It can be flattened but I always give mine an extra layer so they can hide under it (with it pegged to one side) it was 2.99 per fleece and I brought quite a few! I always use puppy pads underneath and only change them if needed. I don't like to waste them. They can be quite pricey but I get a packet of 105 for £10 from the cherry tree barn my local garden centre and it lasts me forever! Best of luck!View attachment 159456
I have that fleece! The piggies love it lol

Tara95

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
it's up to you, you can always try one out worst case scenario you lose £3, mine quite like to burrow in a folded fleece as well. The ones I purchased were fairly thin as well, but I prefer that they go through to the puppy pad and dry and then I just dispose of the disgusting puppy pad! I did spend alot of money originally on guinea pig fleeces which were very thick, but the pee just stayed in the fleece, getting all smelly, wet and heavy so I had to change fairly quickly! I actually only change the thin cheap fleece once a week but I have quite a big cage, but admittedly it could benefit from being changed a day earlier but generally have more time on a Saturday to do it! I only change the puppy pads when they're wet if they haven't weed on them I'll just reuse them. Hope this helps :)