• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece bedding

GuineapigMommy6

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello I am new to the fleece bedding thing and I have a few questions and concerns. What exactly is wicking? How do you tell if fleece is wicked, would it be completely dry at the top after testing water on it? How do I wick fleece, washing it with no fabric softener and drying with no dryer sheets? I have fleece blankets here at home can I use those if I wick them? My concern is urine scald if my pig walk on where he peed, but that's why I asked if it'll be completely dry and would soak the aborbant layers.
Thank you for your help, I'm new to this I need all the help I can get lol.

Hi! Wicking is basically when the water passes straight through the bedding towards whatever you place underneath it. I find that my fleece is always dry, however the towels underneath...not so much. If you do test water on it i personally find that a droplet wets the fleece for a few seconds or so. There certainly wont be any large pee patches, so you dont need to worry about urine scald. In order to allow fleece to wick you need to wash it at least 3 times with no fabric softener, and that should be enough! :)

How can you tell if the pigs are peeing enough? I'm worried about mine not liking his fleece and holding his urine in. I don't feel any wet spots on the fleece in his cage and I'm concerned and curious on how to tell if he's holding it or if he's actually peeing without my knowledge. Is there a way to tell that he is peeing as much as he should/normally did when I used paper bedding?

How can you tell if the pigs are peeing enough? I'm worried about mine not liking his fleece and holding his urine in. I don't feel any wet spots on the fleece in his cage and I'm concerned and curious on how to tell if he's holding it or if he's actually peeing without my knowledge. Is there a way to tell that he is peeing as much as he should/normally did when I used paper bedding?

Unless they have a bladder infection or blockage, then it is not possible for a guinea pig to hold their pee in.
Depending on your set up you can check the absorbent layers underneath the fleece top and see if they are wet, but if you are using ready made liners this won't be possible.
But trust me when I say he will be peeing (unless he is ill). Fleece is just suprisinly good at keeping the layer on top nice and dry.

Unless they have a bladder infection or blockage, then it is not possible for a guinea pig to hold their pee in.
Depending on your set up you can check the absorbent layers underneath the fleece top and see if they are wet, but if you are using ready made liners this won't be possible.
But trust me when I say he will be peeing (unless he is ill). Fleece is just suprisinly good at keeping the layer on top nice and dry.
Thank you so much that was very helpful. I was worried because I was told that if a guinea pig doesn't like it they "can and will hold their pee" so I was worried

Back