• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece Convert!

Status
Not open for further replies.

katie-elizabeth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
After doing lots of research on here, and umming & ahhing alot, I've now been using fleece for a week and I wish I'd done it sooner! I already love it.
I'd been using half & half before - fleece liners & fitch - but now I can't see me ever going back to disposable bedding.
So much greener & less mess :) and of course the boys seem happy with it as well!

Just wanted to share my excitement with you all haha :D

@MycuteBoys tried to convince me last year - I've finally done it Kell lol :tu:

DSC_0340 (640x608).jpg

Joey gives the new bedding a big cheesey piggie smile :)

After doing lots of research on here, and umming & ahhing alot, I've now been using fleece for a week and I wish I'd done it sooner! I already love it.
I'd been using half & half before - fleece liners & fitch - but now I can't see me ever going back to disposable bedding.
So much greener & less mess :) and of course the boys seem happy with it as well!

Just wanted to share my excitement with you all haha :D

@MycuteBoys tried to convince me last year - I've finally done it Kell lol :tu:

View attachment 23233

Joey gives the new bedding a big cheesey piggie smile :)
Hmmmm.. I'm looking into the options as well. What size is your cage and how do you use your fleece?

Hmmmm.. I'm looking into the options as well. What size is your cage and how do you use your fleece?
Fleece needs an absorbent layer underneath, so I'm using towels and I find it's working well. Then I've just folded the fleece so it fits the cage & has a double layer, I have a 100x100 square cage. I've been sweeping up poo/hay twice a day and when it comes to washing I put the fleece into pillowcases to protect the washing machine. Fleece also needs washing 3 times before first use so it will wick away moisture, always wash without fabric softener too. Hope this helps! All this info has mainly come from @piggyfan @Chief Guinea Pig & @Flutterby from me reading so many recent threads on here, thank you guys ;)

Last edited:
Fleece needs an absorbent layer underneath, so I'm using towels and I find it's working well. Then I've just folded the fleece so it fits the cage & has a double layer, I have a 100x100 square cage. I've been sweeping up poo/hay twice a day and when it comes to washing I put the fleece into pillowcases to protect the washing machine. Fleece also needs washing 3 times before first use so it will wick away moisture, always wash without fabric softener too. Hope this helps! All this info has mainly come from @piggyfan @Chief Guinea Pig & @Flutterby from recent threads on here, thank you guys ;)
Not forgetting a capful of white vinegar is useful too lol!

Fleece needs an absorbent layer underneath, so I'm using towels and I find it's working well. Then I've just folded the fleece so it fits the cage & has a double layer, I have a 100x100 square cage. I've been sweeping up poo/hay twice a day and when it comes to washing I put the fleece into pillowcases to protect the washing machine. Fleece also needs washing 3 times before first use so it will wick away moisture, always wash without fabric softener too. Hope this helps! All this info has mainly come from @piggyfan @Chief Guinea Pig & @Flutterby from me reading so many recent threads on here, thank you guys ;)
I've just started dabbling a bit... Built a loft, was 2 x 1 but just increased it to 2 x 2 as they love hoping up there so much, in there I have a small bowl of pellets and a layer of towels covered by a piece of 'TV Blanket' which I cut in half, then a home bargains self heating fluffy thing . Don't want hay up there as I hate hay all over the fluffy. Still on regular bedding below though, now I need the broom to reach under the loft to clean out the end though!

I've just started dabbling a bit... Built a loft, was 2 x 1 but just increased it to 2 x 2 as they love hoping up there so much, in there I have a small bowl of pellets and a layer of towels covered by a piece of 'TV Blanket' which I cut in half, then a home bargains self heating fluffy thing . Don't want hay up there as I hate hay all over the fluffy. Still on regular bedding below though, now I need the broom to reach under the loft to clean out the end though!
Your setup sounds good :) I was worried about the hay being awkward to get off the fleece, but it sweeps up pretty easily because the fleece stays dry. What bedding are you using now?

Fleece is so much fun! Glad your boys are loving it :) I only took to fleece on my second attempt, would never go back now. Don't become an addict like me though and buy every pretty fleece you see!

Your setup sounds good :) I was worried about the hay being awkward to get off the fleece, but it sweeps up pretty easily because the fleece stays dry. What bedding are you using now?
Currently on dust free shavings covered with hay. But before the loft when the fluffy home bargains thing used to be under their beds it was an absolute pain to get the hay off, had to turn inside out and zip back up to wash, then when dry go and shake outside! It's a fake sheepskin type fabric so maybe that's worse than fleece.

Thanks Katie! I don't use white vinager each time as to be honest I don't end up with much calcium staining but when I need to I pop it in the drawer where the conditioner usually goes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back