• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

fleece for flooring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm new to owning guinea pigs and still learning and researching them as much as possible! on a lot of the other members pictures ive seen them using fleece blankets as flooring and a hay box in a corner now what i wanted to kno was do the piggies use this box as a toilet or do they just do it all over the fleece and * still have to change it every other day like woodshavings? sorry if this is a stupid question :) I'm just waiting for my piggies new home to arrive so i want it to be the best possible place for them and most comfortable too

Hi, I use fleece in my cage, I have towels underneath it to absorb pee pee, the fleece acts as a wick drawing the urine through to be absorbed by the underneath layer allowing a dry surface for the piggies. The fleece needs washed a couple of times before using so that it will wick away the urine, don't use fabric conditioner or this will leave a coating on the fleece.
I only have to change mine every 3 to 4 days so have two sets, one set on and one set washing. You do need to spot clean poops twice a day but it suits me great as bedding.
Some members use different things underneath like puppy pads, or mattress pads for absorbing the pee. Hope that helps xox

when i get my indoor cage i might use fleece instead as I'm using shavings now and it is very messy!

Yeah there's that as well lol I have a top floor in my cage and half of it is a hay box and the mess they make with just that is crazy! I have had to buy a special washing powder, an unfragranced one as I found the fragranced ones irritating to their wee noses xox

today is the first day I have my girls and I am trying fleece from the start on the top part of the hutch, the bottom part when they can have use of it will be another type - currently I have animal dreams shredded paper (its a bit like ripped up loo roll). I have a litter tray with the paper in and carefresh as I believe from my research they are more likely to wee where they eat the most so I hope this will help keep the hutch as dry as possible. I did notice when I checked on them before I walked the dog that the amount of poop from the three of them was amazing - at least its solid. I will be cleaning this out in the morning when I feed them and top up the hay etc.

I am not sure how successful this will turn out as I dont want to use shavings if I can help it so will see how well it goes.

I found that site really usefull to :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back