Fleece has started staying dry for the first time, since december

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
It does sound like your fleece is wicking better, it has taken a long time though. I would have thought the shinnier paper would have absorbed less wee not more though - very odd!

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Are these the fleeces from ebay with the "waterproof" backing that isnt waterproof? Mine were pretty rubbish to start with but washing at 60 degrees every week or two for a few months has improved them dramatically, they dont get damp on top at all just underneath occasionally and we have a washable puppy mat underneath the busiest cage areas.
I prefer my Pampered Piggies fleeces but the washing machine doesnt as they are so thick, so we alternate!

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Are these the fleeces from ebay with the "waterproof" backing that isnt waterproof? Mine were pretty rubbish to start with but washing at 60 degrees every week or two for a few months has improved them dramatically, they dont get damp on top at all just underneath occasionally and we have a washable puppy mat underneath the busiest cage areas.
I prefer my Pampered Piggies fleeces but the washing machine doesnt as they are so thick, so we alternate!
I believe they are. Il send you a photo quick. I dont know weva to clean my pigs out or not. The fleece has stayed dry for a week now. I never leave it that long normally.

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They were on amazon from a lady making them to order. Blumming expensive. Cost me in the mid 30's after p and p

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Looks the same backing, but mine cost £15 each ready made in 2x3 C&C size! I've got 4 a bit like this, 2 grey with white stars and 2 black with multi coloured dots. I sometimes use 2 of these overlapped a bit in the 2x5 cage area as it doesnt get peed on so much there and they are fast to wash and dry, 2 fit in the washer at once.
For £30 you could get a really good one from Pampered Piggies or Ziggy's Piggies...

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I have a 4 small fleeces from Ziggy's Piggies. They make them to the size specified and they haven't shrunk after numerous 60 degree washes.
All my small custom size small fleece pee pads are from Ziggy too, plus some lovely cuddle cubes with a custom made specially adapted wider entrance for piggies with a fuller figure or wonky legs!

Roxy_Piggy_Mom

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have bought SO many things from Ziggy :) My pigs are too spoiled haha.
I have liners, snuggle sacks, tunnels etc. All are really great quality and very well priced. The liners don't have the waterproof backing on them, but the middle is absorbent, so I've not had a problem with soggy fleece at all.

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I don't understand the waterproof backing? I thought the whole point of fleece was that it wicked the wet into an absorbant layer under the fleece (newspaper/puppy pads), surely a waterproof backing is going to keep the wet in it?

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I don't understand the waterproof backing? I thought the whole point of fleece was that it wicked the wet into an absorbant layer under the fleece (newspaper/puppy pads), surely a waterproof backing is going to keep the wet in it?
Yes it seems they were designed by someone without piggies! The backing is more showerproof nylon like cheap raincoats, maybe the idea is if people dont have a C&C base to protect the carpet? They do have an absorbant layer. The nylon backing wicks to a puppy mat too after a fair few washes. I bought mine as they were cheap and next-day delivery while my good ones were on order, custom made takes a fair long while!

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There is matress protector stuff in the middle, so after a while it will come back up through the fleece( once the mattress protector gets waterlogged)But mine just soak through all the way out of the waterproof part. I dont really get it though. Surely mattress protector is to stop it going down. I dont know.

Il save some cash and go with some of the mentioned better stuff