• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece in shed

Sophie @2003

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So next month I am getting a 8x10 shed and I will be building the cages by my self at the minute I am using fleece bedding but there in side at the minute I was just wondering if fleece would be any good for the guinea pig in shed as well or would wood shaving be better xx

Fleece doesnt always dry properly outside - it can wick moisture from the air and remain damp. So, you can sometimes use it in dry summer (a damp summer can be problematic). You cant use fleece in winter as it just won’t dry properly.
Dont forget to keep a plan B in mind if you aren’t heating your shed in winter but also a plan for summer. I find keeping mine cooler much harder than keeping them warm and the shed gets dangerously hot very quickly (27 degrees over the last few days and my shed has been in excess of 35 degrees) so mine move indoors during the summer.

Hi that for you advise my shed will have electric going through it so heater lamp in winter and fans in summer will be used just wondering if that alright think about going to shaving

Hi that for you advise my shed will have electric going through it so heater lamp in winter and fans in summer will be used just wondering if that alright think about going to shaving

I personally prefer disposable beddings for outside but do use fleece on the shed floor on occasion in summer to save money on bedding (can get expensive filling 36 square feet with disposable!)

Fans in summer won’t necessarily help - it could simply blow hot air around and actually make things worse - just something to be very mindful of.

Well thank for telling me abit the fan did not know that will deffo not do that and ik it cost quite abit

My experiences of keeping piggies in sheds is that once it gets much above 20 degrees, sheds can very quickly become dangerous. They are usually a good 5-10 degrees hotter than the outside air temperature so having a thermometer inside so you can keep an eye on things, plus a spare cage to bring them out is essential.
It is 20 degrees outside here today but not sunny and even today my shed thermometer is showing 25 degrees, so my piggies have had to be removed from the shed and are on the lawn for today. A 20 degree but sunny day will make my shed a dangerous 30 degrees within an hour easily.
They’ve spent all of the last week (up until today) living in the house and not able to go into the shed at all due to the heat (the shed wasn’t even really cooling overnight). They’ve moved back out to the shed now but within an hour the shed was too hot again so are now on the lawn for the day.

Is there a any way you use to cool piggies down even if it a hot day but you keep them in the shed

Is there a any way you use to cool piggies down even if it a hot day but you keep them in the shed

I don’t know - perhaps an air conditioner unit, but I don’t use one (in my house) so wouldnt know if it could or would even work in a shed (I’d be inclined to think not - unless anybody has personal experience of it and knows otherwise). It might end up making a shed too cold or too draughty due to it being a small space.

My shed has an internal mesh door, so I can open the solid outer door and close the internal mesh door so the piggies are still safe inside, but even with doors/windows open and air through flow it still gets stifling hot inside.

Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

I see you say you’re building cages in it….what cages are you planning? I know there perhaps are people who keep piggies in sheds in C&c cages but I personally wouldn’t recommend it due to the risk rats etc could pose if they get in…c&c’s don’t offer any protection

Last edited:
Back