• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

fleece or wood shavings?

shaysbeautifulboys

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, i always use wood shavings for my hamster and guinea pigs but i’m having second thoughts on whether it’s easier and cheaper to use fleece. how often do i change fleece and what do you guys use for your guinea pigs?

Fleece will need to be changed anywhere from once a week to twice a week - its going to depend on cage size, how many piggies etc.
I use a mixture of beddings for my boys - they are bedded on hay in one area and and fleece in the other. Mine are outside so I only use fleece in summer but I like it - less used bedding to dispose of and piggies seem to like being on the fleece.
A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

i literally can’t find any fleece anywhere my cage measurements are 51cm x 120cm, i know it’s not big enough for them but it’s only temporary and i let them run around my room everyday

Where are you located? I bought my fleece from a homeware shop and just out an absorbent layer down underneath

Yes you can use dog blankets if they’re fleece.
You will need to put an absorbent layer down underneath it - puppy pads or mattress protectors for example.
You need to wash any new blankets several times (without fabric conditioner) before using them with the piggies to get them to wick properly

i live in england, UK. will 2 fleece blankets be enough?

I got my fleece from dunelm.
Two should be enough but its going to depend on whether you can get them washed and dried so youve got a fresh one ready to go on.
What size cage are you going to be moving them into?

I use fleece, I did have half and half in my cage (fleece and woodshavings) but the shavings just got annoying. I do suggest fleece because you can brush the poop out and there is no risk of dust. I hand wash the fleece whenever I clean the cage out. I got my fleeces from The Range, I got 3 yellow ones and one with paw prints on. I also found some foamy/rubbery stuff laying around my house (the bottom of my hutch also has built in plastic so it isn’t wood) and then some newspaper/puppy pads on top and then the fleece. You can get loads of puppy pads for a pound (poundshop,pets at home etc) hope this helped :)

I use fleece for my pigs - found the disposable bedding got too expensive when I upgraded their cage. I clean mine every four days because my boys can get quite messy and they love a clean fleece but use a horse bag to put it in when I put it in the machine - stops the hair etc. getting all over our stuff! I made some of my fleece liners but find they don’t wash as well as the ones I’ve bought. I know c and e cosies that’s recommended on the forum do custom liners but you would need two for when one is in the wash and drying!

I use fleece, I did have half and half in my cage (fleece and woodshavings) but the shavings just got annoying. I do suggest fleece because you can brush the poop out and there is no risk of dust. I hand wash the fleece whenever I clean the cage out. I got my fleeces from The Range, I got 3 yellow ones and one with paw prints on. I also found some foamy/rubbery stuff laying around my house (the bottom of my hutch also has built in plastic so it isn’t wood) and then some newspaper/puppy pads on top and then the fleece. You can get loads of puppy pads for a pound (poundshop,pets at home etc) hope this helped :)
thank you so much ! i definitely want to use fleece now :)

I use fleece for my pigs - found the disposable bedding got too expensive when I upgraded their cage. I clean mine every four days because my boys can get quite messy and they love a clean fleece but use a horse bag to put it in when I put it in the machine - stops the hair etc. getting all over our stuff! I made some of my fleece liners but find they don’t wash as well as the ones I’ve bought. I know c and e cosies that’s recommended on the forum do custom liners but you would need two for when one is in the wash and drying!
i have the same problem! i find myself cleaning the cage out every 2-3 days as i am currently having a problem with gnats. so i can use any type of fleece blankets or mats?

I got my fleece from dunelm.
Two should be enough but its going to depend on whether you can get them washed and dried so youve got a fresh one ready to go on.
What size cage are you going to be moving them into?
i was thinking of making my own c&c cage so i need to look and research more into what i need and how to build it :) i do have a large bedroom so i’m planning on making it big enough so they have enough room to run around as they’ve started chewing my walls and carpet or anything they can get their hands on when i let them out their cage to run around 😂

Two boys need a 2x5 c&c cage which measures 180cm x 77cm.
Not all fleece will wick - do read the guide I linked in above which gives details on fleece bedding

I buy fleece on eBay. I had to join two pieces to make one side but if you buy on eBay or somewhere that sells by the metre then you could always ask for 2m. Double check the width but if I recall most are 60in wide.

Two boys need a 2x5 c&c cage which measures 180cm x 77cm.
Not all fleece will wick - do read the guide I linked in above which gives details on fleece bedding
Hi again sorry i’m just wondering can i hand wash fleece? if so what can i use to wash it without it building up any unwanted soap/detergent?

Hi again sorry i’m just wondering can i hand wash fleece? if so what can i use to wash it without it building up any unwanted soap/detergent?

Handwashing fleece isn’t ideal. It won’t get it properly clean and you won’t be able to put your hands in hot enough water to kill the bacteria. Machine washing really is the best way.
I machine wash mine in a normal non bio detergent and add some white vinegar to the wash

okay, i’ll have to convince my mum then. she’s agreed to let me use fleece which is a good start :)

You can buy a horse wash bag to put the fleece in when going to wash. And a rubber brush can work well with getting off the stray hay (and hairs?).

You can buy a horse wash bag to put the fleece in when going to wash. And a rubber brush can work well with getting off the stray hay (and hairs?).
ohhhhh okay i’ll buy those aswell as the non bio detergent, thanks!

Back