Fleece + Stubbins

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! :)
I thought I would consult TGPF with an ongoing Stubbins-related issue.
Due to her constant diarrhea, the fleece is always getting messy.
I washed the fleece five times last week, but the trouble is, fleece is not designed to be washed that much. I am extremely stressed, not only because of Stubbins' treatment and getting her better but also because I really dislike the look of messy fleece.
When I first rescued Mo and Stubbins, they were so young and eager to learn that I was actually able to litter train them (aside from the droppings in their hideys). Vani quickly caught on to the idea that I would give her a piece of pepper every time she pooped or peed in the litter box. The trouble with diarrhea is that is it uncontrollable, meaning that when Stubbins has to go...she goes.
Any advice is appreciated!

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
All I can suggest is that in the short term you get a couple of cheap fleece blankets or a large piece of fleece and cut it into pieces about the size of a hand towel. It will be much easier to throw them into the wash and replace 1 - 2 rather than washing an entire liner multiple times a week.
You could also consider switching to disposable puppy pads in certain areas, although this could get expensive quite quickly.
Sorry you are still dealing with this issue - I can not even imagine how tiring it is.

anyar.dris

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If you can get paper bedding, that's better. When I had a piggy with tummy problems, the paper bedding was what I use in the 2nd floor of their hutch (where they all sleep at night). I also used paper bedding in their hay area on the floor and the hay are in their racks or moved a bit to accommodate the paper bedding. I only put the paper bedding in the heavily traffic area (puppy pads underneath it). It helped me with not washing the fleece all the time and paper bedding can be replaced easily.

PoppyFloss

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Try using old towels that you don’t need anymore or already use for your piggies as fleece liners

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help, everyone!
These were super great ideas!
Unfortunately, because my guinea pigs have free-roam of my room, figuring out bedding, especially now, can become quite complicated! :)
My dad and I were able to find four large fleece liners for only $30! Usually, one piece of fleece costs $54!
One quick question:
Has anyone ever thought about using bath mats for piggies?
They are waterproof and have suction cups that easily attach to a hard surface.
Just curious!
I will attach an image.
1593628401939.png

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help, everyone!
These were super great ideas!
Unfortunately, because my guinea pigs have free-roam of my room, figuring out bedding, especially now, can become quite complicated! :)
My dad and I were able to find four large fleece liners for only $30! Usually, one piece of fleece costs $54!
One quick question:
Has anyone ever thought about using bath mats for piggies?
They are waterproof and have suction cups that easily attach to a hard surface.
Just curious!
I will attach an image.
View attachment 147046
the issue with those bath mats is that they could nibble them... and then that would be bad..... I use a combo of fleece and the fluffy bath mats ...