• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece Users: Top part wet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello my lovielies,

I've just bought Percy-Roo and Tabby too a gorgeous cage liner and I've had the cage liner down since Sunday evening but now the top is soaking wet @) i thought it'd be a bit like vet bed and wick away to the newspaper underneath does fleece need washing more regular? :)

Many thanks!

Laura x

Hi,

Is it new fleece? of so how many times did you wash it before using?:)

Fleece usually needs two or three washes before 1st use to destroy the coating:))

Humm i also found this with fleece hence why i now only use vet bed! Like Lily said it might be because it needs to be washed more? Give the piggies a chin rub from me, hope you're ok! x

I don't think it will work just on newspaper rolleyes

I use a layer of newspaper, then a layer of old towels, then a fleece (pre washed 3 times) then the cage liner/fleece that's shaped to the base. The towels/fleece under the cage liner draw the liquid away from the top layer.

Hope that helps :)

It might be because its micro fleece and not polar? and fleece needs washing a few times anyway I've not had much experience with micro fleece tho most fleece does seem to work even cheap cheap primark fleece works not well but it does work

I don't think it will work just on newspaper rolleyes

I use a layer of newspaper, then a layer of old towels, then a fleece (pre washed 3 times) then the cage liner/fleece that's shaped to the base. The towels/fleece under the cage liner draw the liquid away from the top layer.

Hope that helps :)

It has wadding and mattress topper sewn together, fleece wicks urine away because its made of plastic the topper is supposed to absorb and spread it out but if its never been washed it wont work well until its been washed and dried several times.

it may need changing more often for a short time till the barrier breaks down, normal cageliners without wadding are the same work better the more they are washed

I used a thick layer of newspaper, a double layer of towel, and then a double layer of fleece. I washed everything three times - without softner - before putting it in, and changed it twice a week with newspaper changes in between. Newspaper gets very wet very quickly so you really need towels :)

Profleece is a lot better; it stayed drier for longer and the towel didn't get wet as quick, and the newspaper underneath faired very well!

It has wadding and mattress topper sewn together, fleece wicks urine away because its made of plastic the topper is supposed to absorb and spread it out but if its never been washed it wont work well until its been washed and dried several times.

it may need changing more often for a short time till the barrier breaks down, normal cageliners without wadding are the same work better the more they are washed

Ah sounds like it needs a few washes first then :))

You probably need to wash out the softener more before using it and you may need more of an absorbent underlay, too. Newspaper is not very absorbent and needs changing regularly if you are only using that!

Ahhhhh brilliant thank you so much my lovelies! :)

I haven't washed it :red mallethead was a bit too excited and eager to use it ! So it's been washed twice today :)

Now just drying in the greenhouse. So I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens :))

You probably need to wash out the softener more before using it and you may need more of an absorbent underlay, too. Newspaper is not very absorbent and needs changing regularly if you are only using that!

Ahhhh okies, I've always used newspaper under the vetbed (changed daily) so I'll try and find something more absorbent maybe a thin layer of woodshaivings? :)

you shouldnt need newspaper as it has topper in it and wadding, if the fleece hadn't been washed then nothing is getting to the topper for it to work, the more it gets washed the better usually.

you shouldnt need newspaper as it has topper in it and wadding, if the fleece hadn't been washed then nothing is getting to the topper for it to work, the more it gets washed the better usually.

Ahhhh thank you sorry its my fault I was wayyyy to excited to use it and P-Roo and Tabby were zooming around on it for a good hour when i put it down x) it was so cute! I've gave it two washes today so I'll keep washing it to break it in, thank you so much for the beautiful cage liner its gorgeous x)

Ahhhhh brilliant thank you so much my lovelies! :)

I haven't washed it :red mallethead was a bit too excited and eager to use it ! So it's been washed twice today :)

Now just drying in the greenhouse. So I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens :))

Ahhhh okies, I've always used newspaper under the vetbed (changed daily) so I'll try and find something more absorbent maybe a thin layer of woodshaivings? :)

I prefer cheap towels and have now switched to a padded water tight mattress cover that has been cut to size and seamed for convenience.
If you are using wood chippings or something similar, an American friend of mine recommends buying a fly screen that is placed between the wood chippings and the fleece to prevent everything sticking to it but still allowing the pee to seep through.

PS: A tip for fleece - don't overfill your machine, or your fleece will come out stinking to high heaven! and NEVER wash it with softener!

I prefer cheap towels and have now switched to a padded water tight mattress cover that has been cut to size and seamed for convenience.
If you are using wood chippings or something similar, an American friend of mine recommends buying a fly screen that is placed between the wood chippings and the fleece to prevent everything sticking to it but still allowing the pee to seep through.

PS: A tip for fleece - don't overfill your machine, or your fleece will come out stinking to high heaven! and NEVER wash it with softener!

Ahhh what a handy tip, I'll get some towels for the vetbed too as the amount of newspaper I go through could fill a forest!

Oooo I have a spare fly screen that I'll cut to size what a brilliant idea, it never occurred to me to use a fly screen

I usually have to do about five washes (we only have a small drum) to do both hutches and two sets of change overs I did try once to shorten it to two loads but everything ended up smelling funky :)>>>

I'll try and find something more absorbent maybe a thin layer of woodshaivings? :)

I would not put wood shavings underneath the fleece except if you do not mind spending much time plucking dirty shavings from the fleece - wood shavings (and hay) stick to fleece.
Next thing you will notice is lots of wood shavings in your washing machine and the only way to get those shavings out of your washing machine is when it sticks to the next laundry.....

Wiebke - do you use towels, with a mattress topper and then fleece on top of all this and no newspaper? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back