• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleeces

D

DM270921

Hi! since I adopted my guinea pigs they have been living on wood shavings. I am now considering buying them a fleece liner because the wood shavings are expensive to buy for a large space (2x5 c&c with 2x2 loft). I also think they would like a comfier home. However, my mother is unsure and finds the idea of washing the fleece in the washing machine which we clean our clothes in unpleasant - would the fleece leave the washing machine dirty from the urine on the fleece? or would it be possible to hand-wash fleece in a bucket? Also what are the best fleeces to buy and where from. Our plan is to buy a fleece just for the loft at the moment and see if it would be a good option for the future for the whole cage. Thank you in advance, I'd also appreciate any other information about fleece as the concept is quite new to me :)

The washing machine cycle rinses everything through so the machine isn’t left dirty. I do an empty wash with a washing machine cleaner or white vinegar to clean the machine every so often. It’s important to either use a horse wash bag to put the fleece In so that hay and hair doesn’t get through the washing machine, as well as cleaning out the washing machine filter regularly for anything that does make it through.

Handwashing fleece isn’t really effective. You cant get it clean enough in a hand wash.

If you are going to just buy a fleece blanket then that’s fine, but it has to be wicked before use and you will need an absorbent layer underneath (something like puppy pads). You can also buy proper cage liners which have the absorbent layers already stitched in. I’ll add some guides in for you to read more about fleece bedding.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Hello,
I hand wash my Finn and Lara fleece bedding for over 2 years. My Finn and Lara use their hay tray as their bathrooms, and in their hay tray/bathrooms, I use Kaytee paper bedding. All the other places, I have fleece bedding.

I have accumulated a lot of fleece bedding in all different sizes over the years due to washing by hands. The drying time is rather slow but since I have a lot of fleece bedding, it has worked for me.

Thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate it, my mum says she would want me to pre-wash the fleece by hand first before finishing in the machine in a bag. I am looking for a 2x2 fleece and would appreciate all recommendations for the best fleece to buy

Thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate it, my mum says she would want me to pre-wash the fleece by hand first before finishing in the machine in a bag. I am looking for a 2x2 fleece and would appreciate all recommendations for the best fleece to buy

If that is what she is happier with then go with it
Is also recommend you get a rubber brush as they can great at brushing excess hair and hay off before washing
I bought my fleece blankets from dunelm

Hi, we use GuineaDad fleece liners for our Midwest cage. They are very good quality and super absorbent so there‘s virtually nothing leaking through. I have to add that their food/bathroom area is in a litter tray with Back-2-Nature bedding. GuineaDad does 2x2 fleeces I think but otherwise I‘d have a look on Etsy. There are loads of liners on there and you can even customise most of them.

Putting it in a proper horse wash bag is fine.

I washed nappies on there though so perhaps I’m a bit more relaxed than your mum but a guinea pig fleece is nothing compared to what my poor machine has had to deal with!

Back