• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Floor Time..

Sarah0555

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

Just a quick one as this page has already been very helpful!

We bought our guinea pigs just over a week ago now and trying to introduce floor time! Just wondered how often everyone let there guinea pigs wander? And is floortime for fun and/or exercise for them?

The reason I ask is because they seem scared with it and worried they don’t like it? (Probably being paranoid I know)

Lastly, do people put toys and everything out.. we have this set up for just now so they can wander freely but not hide under our couch.

Thanks

image.jpg

Hello!

Just a quick one as this page has already been very helpful!

We bought our guinea pigs just over a week ago now and trying to introduce floor time! Just wondered how often everyone let there guinea pigs wander? And is floortime for fun and/or exercise for them?

The reason I ask is because they seem scared with it and worried they don’t like it? (Probably being paranoid I know)

Lastly, do people put toys and everything out.. we have this set up for just now so they can wander freely but not hide under our couch.

Thanks

View attachment 72717

Hi and welcome!

Guinea pigs are prey animals; they are afraid of open, strange spaces. Fgive them plenty of time to become confident in their own cage first.

if you can, use some old bedding at first so it smells like their territory and dot plenty of stools cardboard boxes and tunnels around that they can use as safe bases to explore their territory from, ideally initially about a foot away (within range of sharp sight). Make sure that they cannot get any cables, into crannies and cannot soil any carpets you cannot replace easily when you let them free roam. Don't expect miracles. It takes time for them to build up the confidence and a feeling of security. Guinea pigs go by instinct where they can smell the spoors of others, as that is safe. When they have to be their own trail blazers, it is much harder as that means potentially hostile territory. You also have to accept that they will scent mark any of their territory.

We started ours in a small space just outside of their down stairs pen, the barriers being mine and my OH’s splayed legs ! Now they have the run of our dining room and they spend a lot of the time under the table and chairs napping, but they zoom around, mooch and follow us when we walk through into the kitchen!

Mine only get floor time at weekends when they get moved from their large cage upstairs into a smaller pen in the dining room but they’re out and about most of time, only zipped in at night and if we have to go out or need to use the dining room for some diy.

We’re also very lucky that they don’t pee on the carpet. They do poo, a lot but they always go back into their pen to pee. I think this might be quite unusual, so towels or puppy pads in corners and stuff is a good idea. They do spray pee up the skirting boards (which is easy to clean up) and they have chewed the walls (which is not so easy)!

It may be a touch early if you've only had them a week, not sure if they are in a cage or C&C set up, l lot of people leave the doors open so they can come & go. As Wiebke says, they are wee & poo machines, so we use a plastic tablecloth with fleece over the top. Eventually they will be running round the whole room, so you'll just have to clean up the accidents.

i use a metal run that is 7 feet in length and 4 feet in width,i need to ensure mine are safe,as i have too much clutter to allow ree roaming ! i use fleece blankets on the floor,use louging logs,cardboard boxes,homemade mazes,newspaper screwed up with favorite veg inside,change there items daily so keeps them interested !

I would as has been suggested above put lots of hideys and tunnels in piggies like to run between them, plenty of hay in as well :) As they get more used to it you'll see them less in hideys and more time moving about the run

Hi. Piggies usually love floortime and you can provide as much of it as you like, as long as hay and water are available. Personally, I like to let my guinea pigs exit the cage by themselves and be able to go basck into the cage, as it makes them a lot less scared. It might take a little bit of time, but it's worth it:). Also, make sure to add lots of hides. :)

I've a small cage under a unit in the living room for my boys. I bring them down most evenings. I leave the door open so they have full run of the room. They only pee in the cage but poop everywhere. I think they like having a base where they can feel safe. When I want to take them back to their big cage, I put some nuggets in the base cage and when they all go in I shut the door and catch them easily.

Back