• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Flub's laboured breathing

Oh @Bradshaw Piggies, the vet was very firm and clear that the cloudiness on X-ray indicated infection, not excess fluid, hence trying the Baytril. It's at moments like these where I wish I had a little radiography knowledge...

My vet said about Spike's lungs - "it's infection, using a diuretic would be totally inappropriate use of a diuretic". Sending Flubs loads of healing vibes and hugs to you @Danielle Smith , it's so draining when they are ill.

Reading your Spike's health thread really resonated with me @piggieminder. We've had a number of deaths here over the last couple months (mostly unexpected), add some ill piggies and as you say it's just so draining!

I had a wee cry at the vets the other day as the receptionist and vet nurses were so kind and acknowledged how difficult things must be for us just now. They also remarked on how much I clearly care for my animals and that they must have a great life with me, which definitely gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling amidst all the regret and sadness.

Oh @Bradshaw Piggies, the vet was very firm and clear that the cloudiness on X-ray indicated infection, not excess fluid, hence trying the Baytril. It's at moments like these where I wish I had a little radiography knowledge...
Sorry, it just looked similar to fluid pockets that my boy had - but I’m not a vet!
Of course, the vet knows far better than us and I’m really hoping your boy improves. It was just the hooting sound, my boy made that noise with fluid. Some good advice my vets gave when I sent them a video of his breathing was the nature of how his sides were moving; from the video they could already suggest fluid and lower respiratory illness by the way his sides where moving.
Sending lots of love to you both 💕

@Bradshaw Piggies, I am absolutely inclined to agree with you! I may try to get another vet to review the x-ray re: fluid retention. Can you elaborate on how your chaps sides were moving? See first post for my video, poor Flubs is really sucking his sides in even more than the video and he is nodding really badly.

@Bradshaw Piggies, I am absolutely inclined to agree with you! I may try to get another vet to review the x-ray re: fluid retention. Can you elaborate on how your chaps sides were moving? See first post for my video, poor Flubs is really sucking his sides in even more than the video and he is nodding really badly.
I’ve popped it on Instagram so you should be able to click the link. This is him when relaxing but he was nodding when stood up right.
I don’t want to cause any more worry, or in any way attempt to diagnose or suggest anything. It’s just a whole year with my very poorly boy, so i know how worried and exhausted you must be.

Oh my, what a handsome boy! His breathing is very similar to poor Flubs.

Honestly, it's just nice to hear from people that my worries aren't completely unfounded and it is worth keeping pushing for a better quality of life for my poor lad. :hug:

Hi
From my experience the best antibiotic for LRI is zithromax, it is not licenced for animals but can be used if the others aren't working, it is a real life saver. Not all vets are familiar with it tho but I would ask your vet to look into it.

For LRI my vet will also sometimes prescribe corvental which is a bronchodilator, to help get more air into the lungs.

Oh my, what a handsome boy! His breathing is very similar to poor Flubs.

Honestly, it's just nice to hear from people that my worries aren't completely unfounded and it is worth keeping pushing for a better quality of life for my poor lad. :hug:
Thank you.
he really was my world and since losing him I’ve struggled to get up every day!

really do hope your boy starts to pick up soon:hug:

Hi
From my experience the best antibiotic for LRI is zithromax, it is not licenced for animals but can be used if the others aren't working, it is a real life saver. Not all vets are familiar with it tho but I would ask your vet to look into it.

For LRI my vet will also sometimes prescribe corvental which is a bronchodilator, to help get more air into the lungs.
:agr: Zithromax by far one of the best and highly recommended by our vets

It's so difficult when other's say what their vet uses/recommends and the one you see wont entertain it. My vet refused the Zithoromax as well. I was just relieved to find someone who recognised Spike was ill after months of seeing so many vets. The cycle of sick piggies in this house is like yours it's one after the other and sometimes 2 at once.

Flubs has been taking his meds like a champ, unfortunately they still don't seem to be doing anything. As we were giving him probiotics this lunchtime, his breathing was so awful, irregular wheezy breaths. His limbs are purple and white too. When we put him back in his cage his breathing was still horrendous but he's been pootling around a tiny bit and was keen for forage and peaflakes.

We have an appointment with the vet at 15.30 for two ultrasounds for suspected ovarian cysts but I think I'll insist they prioritise him instead. At least it's the most cavy-savvy vet I know today, so a fresh pair of eyes are appreciated. I'm so worried, he sounds so bad and he's working harder than ever to breathe.

Flubs has been taking his meds like a champ, unfortunately they still don't seem to be doing anything. As we were giving him probiotics this lunchtime, his breathing was so awful, irregular wheezy breaths. His limbs are purple and white too. When we put him back in his cage his breathing was still horrendous but he's been pootling around a tiny bit and was keen for forage and peaflakes.

We have an appointment with the vet at 15.30 for two ultrasounds for suspected ovarian cysts but I think I'll insist they prioritise him instead. At least it's the most cavy-savvy vet I know today, so a fresh pair of eyes are appreciated. I'm so worried, he sounds so bad and he's working harder than ever to breathe.
So so sorry to hear Flubs is still not doing well :( Thinking of you all today. I hope you can get some more answers from the vet :hug:

So vet's first thought was heart issues, but on careful examination she thinks Flubs has improved compared to the previous consults -- he's put on a bit of weight and his heart sounds fine, though his breathing still isn't great and is representative of a URI. She's asked I continue with the baytril and sulfratrim until Wednesday and then she suggested we maybe try marbocyl.

Has anyone got any experience of marbocyl vs azithromycin? I'll be insisting on a trial of diuretic on Wednesday, I feel a bit ashamed I wasn't able to advocate for him today but sincethe vet managed to slot him in very last minute I was just thankful she could have a look a him!

So vet's first thought was heart issues, but on careful examination she thinks Flubs has improved compared to the previous consults -- he's put on a bit of weight and his heart sounds fine, though his breathing still isn't great and is representative of a URI. She's asked I continue with the baytril and sulfratrim until Wednesday and then she suggested we maybe try marbocyl.

Has anyone got any experience of marbocyl vs azithromycin? I'll be insisting on a trial of diuretic on Wednesday, I feel a bit ashamed I wasn't able to advocate for him today but sincethe vet managed to slot him in very last minute I was just thankful she could have a look a him!
Glad to hear there’s some improvement for your little guy 🤞🏻🤞🏻
I’ve used both Marbocyl and Azithromycin, found them both effective and luckily no negative effects. Though my vet did suggest Marbocyl as one to use if the piggy is more sensitive/prone to digestive upsets.
Really hope your guy continues to improve 💕

I'm sorry about Flubs. As you know Womble also has a respiratory problem at the moment. Could you ask your vet about a nebulizer like I'm doing for Womble? I bought a pediatic nebulizer off Amazon. It cost £45. and the vet gave me some F10 solution to dilute and told me to pop him in a crate whilst it turns it into vapour. I will take a picture and put it up to show you.

Back