Fluffy still not herself following bereavement

Emx93

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi, I wasn't sure which section to post this in but I suspect it's more a bereavement issue than a health one.
Fluffy lost princess just over 2 months ago and despite having two new friends who she's happy with she's just not herself still. She'll intereract with her friends and eat but is still very withdrawn. She's had some issues with dirty bums and suspected teeny stones or sludgy stuff coming out her bits but these are now under control. Her weight is still very hit and miss, she gains, she looses but she's still on average 146g down from her prime, she's only just 2 so should still be in her prime, we've also noticed while her heft around her ribs is reasonably OK, her hips are extremely boney and sticky outy and she flinches when her hips are touched. We plan on taking her for a full once over at the vets once they resume routine appointments however this won't be for a while yet. Is this just her new average weight and behaviour now do you think? Is there anything we can do to perk her up? I can't see any obvious signs of illness currently or anything xx
Screenshot_20200628-173422~3.png

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That’s quite a large drop from her biggest weight. I would try and get an appointment soon. Tell them what you’ve said here. She’s losing weight, seems to be in pain when you touch her hip area. Feels bony.
Sorry she’s worrying you. Hopefully it’ll be nothing major.

Emx93

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That’s quite a large drop from her biggest weight. I would try and get an appointment soon. Tell them what you’ve said here. She’s losing weight, seems to be in pain when you touch her hip area. Feels bony.
Sorry she’s worrying you. Hopefully it’ll be nothing major.
Thankyou I'm going to email them tomorrow, she had a vet check when she lost her appetite initially just before princess died and it was put down to her starting her grieving process, I'll feel better once the health angle is ruled out though 😊

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a major weight loss that needs to be checked out. Please be aware that you measure over/underweight not around the hips but around the ribcage to see whether your piggy is a reasonable weight for their individual size ('heft' or - if you'd rather - feeling for the BMI which works for any age as the weight changes quite considerably over a life time). The loss will have certainly not helped with whatever is going on.
You will find this guide here very helpful in any matters that pertain to weight: Weight - Monitoring and Management

Emx93

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That is a major weight loss that needs to be checked out. Please be aware that you measure over/underweight not around the hips but around the ribcage to see whether your piggy is a reasonable weight for their individual size ('heft' or - if you'd rather - feeling for the BMI which works for any age as the weight changes quite considerably over a life time). The loss will have certainly not helped with whatever is going on.
You will find this guide here very helpful in any matters that pertain to weight: Weight - Monitoring and Management
Thankyou, it has happened over the course of a few months rather than quickly with periods of gains in there as well so we are now at a bit of a yo yo if that makes sense, her rib heft is OK, the boney hips and her reacting to her hips being touched is new however, I'm going to email the vets tomorrow (they are closed today) and explain she's eating and drinking and I know they've checked her over once this lockdown but I'd feel better if they rechecked her since she's still struggling to keep weight on and not herself along with the boney hips xx

Bill & Ted

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hoping you find out what’s wrong with Fluffy, sending you hugs it must be a worry for you x

Emx93

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thankyou everyone I haven't heard back yet, they've mentioned x rays previously for potential bladder issues so they may want to do one, they only have one vet atm though so I know they're still emergency only xx

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh no not again, I’m so sorry @Emx93. Glad you’ve got her booked in, hope she feels better soon xx

Emx93

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh no not again, I’m so sorry @Emx93. Glad you’ve got her booked in, hope she feels better soon xx
Thankyou me too, with how often these funky bits are happening I suspect they'll want to either x Ray or keep her on metacam for longer than a week 😕 Ive been putting the x Ray off as I didn't want to cause more stress but I think at this point she probably needs one 😳 xx I think they've said before they suspect they're tiny stones xx

Emx93

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I filter water, she has very limited pellets and I follow the forum diet, I give her daily bum baths to keep her clean as she does tend to wee on herself, her bum fur is kept short, she's spayed (full spay) so womb issues are excluded, I think it has to be a bladder issue, she's bedded on vet bed in a clean cage too... 🤦‍♀️

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thankyou me too, with how often these funky bits are happening I suspect they'll want to either x Ray or keep her on metacam for longer than a week 😕 Ive been putting the x Ray off as I didn't want to cause more stress but I think at this point she probably needs one 😳 xx I think they've said before they suspect they're tiny stones xx
It’s probably a good idea with it recurring so much, poor little Fluffy bless her. And you with all these vets! Hope it’s nothing to worry about and she’s back to normal in no time :hug:Some issues are so frustrating, bladders are definitely one! Sure it’s nothing you’re doing and she’s probably just more prone like my Rosie the cat and Rupert the pig! You care for her brilliantly xx