• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Food for babies

Megs87

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello. I am due to collect two guinea pigs in a couple of weeks as this is when they will be able to leave. Do i need to start them on different food as they are still babies?

How old are they?
No, you don’t need to though. They need to have the bulk of their diet as hay regardless of their age. You can give them either one tablespoon per pig per day of specific baby guinea pig pellets until they are four months old and then you can switch them to one tablespoon per pig per day of adult pellets. Or - two tablespoons per pig per day of adult guinea pig pellets until they are four months old and then you reduce it back down to one tablespoon per day. It doesn’t matter whether you use adult or baby pellets though. The difference is that the nutrient levels in baby pellets are already adjusted so they need less of them.
Any new veg needs to be introduced slowly as always but if they are eating veg where you are getting them from, then they will be used to veg itself but just introduce new ones carefully

Hello. I honestly dont know their age but told they are ready from the 14th Sep so i dont know what age they can be sold from

Where are you getting them from? If not a rescue please double check the sex yourself. Have a read of the link below.

Illustrated Sexing Guide

Hello. I am due to collect two guinea pigs in a couple of weeks as this is when they will be able to leave. Do i need to start them on different food as they are still babies?
Hi! First of all, congrats on getting your piggies soon! As with pigs of any age, they need hay, and lots of it! Depending on how old they are, they will need Alfalfa or Timothy hay, though other members of the forum can help you with that as I don’t really know. I would also recommend baby guinea pig pellets, a tablespoon a day for each pig is plenty. Oxbow Young Guinea Pig food is a great brand, and when my boars were babies they loved them! They also need veggies, a cup of veg a day is plenty for piggies. Healthy treats and forage are optional, though they do help enrich their diet a lot and piggies seem to love them! Goodluck!

Back