• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Foods that cause bloatiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot fox

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm now wondering if it's Brussell Sprout leaves that caused Oscar's gut to slow down. :( He was a bit bloaty again last night, so I wondered if anyone could tell me what is healthy veg and what to avoid in a Piggle who is prone to becoming gassy? Is there a thread I've missed with this info on?
I've been given some Chinese Cabbage, best to avoid giving them this?
Is celery OK? Do I need to de-string it?
I usually give them carrot, broccoli and loads of cucumber, should I avoid the broccoli? I generally give them stalk and leaves only, but have been giving them the florettes too recently, could it be this that's causing the bloatiness?
I'd be really grateful for any advise that would avoid Osc swelling up and avoid his lady friends not having a restricted veg diet.
Or a link to a thread with this info on would be equally useful thanks.

Did Oscar lose weight when bloated?

I was away for a weekend, since coming back Bette had lost over 100grams I Think we're at 116grams now. My mum said she gave 1/8 of a brussel Spout. Her poops weren't forming, and when they finally started to form they were teadropshaped. She had 2 gut spasms and now the poo's are back to normal but she bloats at the slightest thing.

We're off to the vets again today. I have her on Hay, probiotics and vitamin C. When she returns to her normal self I then introduce a food to her if she bloats, we go back to hay and introduce the next food.

It's a slow process.

I would categorically leave out all brassicas (cabbages).

The best thing you can do is keeping Oscar just on dry food (mostly hay) for a few days and then give him only one veg at a time to find out which ones are not good for him, so you can avoid them in the future. It is tedious and not very great, but worth it.

Laura-CCC4 has at least one piggy with a similar problem and has done that. Perhaps you want to pm her or contact her through her website for more tips?
http://www.guineapighelpline.com/

Thank you all, Oscar did loose weight at first, from 1295g to 1210g (yes he is a bit squidgey!) although last time we weighed him he was back to 1270g.
I've been veg shopping, I've got some coriander and parsley, they LOVE celery and cucumber. I've chucked the Chinese cabbage and sprouts. So I shall go back to a rather plain diet and give Oscacious' system a while to get back to normal, once we've had a few days without needing to resort to the Zantac then we'll start to introduce veggies, one at a time as suggested.
Thanks so much for your help. Weibke thank you Laura has been awesome with her help B-) Thanks Shellza for the thread link, it's very comprehensive!
I'm so glad to have my boy all happy again, we'll do out upmost to make sure he stays that way! <3

Thank you all, Oscar did loose weight at first, from 1295g to 1210g (yes he is a bit squidgey!) although last time we weighed him he was back to 1270g.
I've been veg shopping, I've got some coriander and parsley, they LOVE celery and cucumber. I've chucked the Chinese cabbage and sprouts. So I shall go back to a rather plain diet and give Oscacious' system a while to get back to normal, once we've had a few days without needing to resort to the Zantac then we'll start to introduce veggies, one at a time as suggested.
Thanks so much for your help. Weibke thank you Laura has been awesome with her help B-) Thanks Shellza for the thread link, it's very comprehensive!
I'm so glad to have my boy all happy again, we'll do out upmost to make sure he stays that way! <3

Hey Catherine, just seen this thread, will write it down here as well anyway. Foods to avoid for pigs prone to bloat (IMO this should include those who have suffered bloating in the past):

Cabbage - including Chinese Lettuce (actually a cabbage), Pak Choi, Spring Greens, and
"Fresh Greens"
Kale
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Brussels Sprouts

Sugary foods can affect some pigs prone to bloat, pepper is one that I am noticing is coming up as a trigger in more cases.

yes my pig pebbles RIP loved red pepper but it gave her the most awful poos and bloat so she wasn't allowed it poor girl! Alyson x

Hadn't thought about the temperature, my husband did wonder about that. Thanks. Is spinach bloat inducing? I have a lovely big bag in the fridge, and can't stand the stuff myself!

I think spinach is ok in terms of bloat, but it's not a great food for piggies - safe, but only in small quantities e.g. a couple of leaves per pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back