Foot biting when picked up

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since i have had Bernie, he has always bit his own front foot when i pick him up, he doesnt do any damage. I thought he would grow out of it as his confidence grew, but nope. Anyone else had a guinea pig do this before?

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Spike does it (b/w aby in avatar) he's always done it too, he's 4.5 now. We assume it's frustration at not being able to do anything about us picking him up, he'd probably rather be biting us but knows he shouldn't. :)) We did get nipped in the early days but the piggy whispering tips sorted that.

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Spike does it (b/w aby in avatar) he's always done it too, he's 4.5 now. We assume it's frustration at not being able to do anything about us picking him up, he'd probably rather be biting us but knows he shouldn't. :)) We did get nipped in the early days but the piggy whispering tips sorted that.
I thought it might be frustration lol. Little bugger, i make sure i dont hold him long now, he sometimes bites my jumper sleeve, hurts when he catches my skin 😂.

The funny part is, hes the easiest pig to catch in the first place, Dot is very difficult, but doesnt fuss atall being held

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of mine used to bite her own feet when we would cut her nails. I think it was anger/frustration at not enjoying the nails being cut. And Hadley sometimes flails one of her front feet when we pick her up... it's kind of cute. I think it's her expressing her displeasure as being caught, but it's not particularly effective!