• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Footspur or bumblefoot?

piggyl0ver

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello :))
Is this a footspur or bumblefoot?. My guineapigs are kept in clean living conditions on very soft fleece.
They are only on his front feet. My guineapig doesn't appear to be in any pain/discomfort and is eating / pooping normally.
I am booking a vet appointment for ASAP but was wondering if I should go in 24 hrs. I was going to go to emergency vets if he appeared appeared be in pain, but he is chirpy and running around as usual.
Thank you so much. I am very grateful for this community. 🙏
Have included pics (looks less extreme in real life, but wanted to capture it the best i can)

Attachments

• 20210927_115456.jpg
    20210927_115456.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 23
Hello :))
Is this a footspur or bumblefoot?. My guineapigs are kept in clean living conditions on very soft fleece.
They are only on his front feet. My guineapig doesn't appear to be in any pain/discomfort and is eating / pooping normally.
I am booking a vet appointment for ASAP but was wondering if I should go in 24 hrs. I was going to go to emergency vets if he appeared appeared be in pain, but he is chirpy and running around as usual.
Thank you so much. I am very grateful for this community. 🙏
Have included pics (looks less extreme in real life, but wanted to capture it the best i can)

You may be dealing with very start of foot spurs although I can't see any developed ones. They are dead skin growns always on the side of the weight bearing cushion pads on the soles while foot infections start as localised red/hot spots on the pressure pads that then develop into swellings and open sores.
Bumblefoot (pododermatitis) is not very common in well kept guinea pigs; affected are mostly older or ill guinea pigs with limited mobility and a no longer optimal blood circulation that sit in their spot and their excrement all day. We have got practical care tips for that case.

Please don't be tempted to overcream feet; the softer the skin, the more prone it becomes to little rips that let bugs into the skin to cause an infection.

You may be dealing with very start of foot spurs although I can't see any developed ones. They are dead skin growns always on the side of the weight bearing cushion pads on the soles while foot infections start as localised red/hot spots on the pressure pads that then develop into swellings and open sores.
Bumblefoot (pododermatitis) is not very common in well kept guinea pigs; affected are mostly older or ill guinea pigs with limited mobility and a no longer optimal blood circulation that sit in their spot and their excrement all day. We have got practical care tips for that case.

Please don't be tempted to overcream feet; the softer the skin, the more prone it becomes to little rips that let bugs into the skin to cause an infection.

Hello. Thank you so much for replying and for the helpful information. :-)
I am sorry, I am a little confused. If it is the beginnings of a footspur, why are his soles so pronounced? Does this mean that they are going to continue to increase in size because they already look so large. I am so worried that they may cause him pain. 😔
I am going to book an appointment for asap, do you think an emergency one would be necessary? As I mentioned in the post, he seems quite chirpy as usual and is not acting any differently.
Again, thanks for much for the helpful response, i really appreciate it!

I am sorry, I am a little confused. If it is the beginnings of a footspur, why are his soles so pronounced? Does this mean that they are going to continue to increase in size because they already look so large. I am so worried that they may cause him pain. 😔
I am going to book an appointment for asap, do you think an emergency one would be necessary? As I mentioned in the post, he seems quite chirpy as usual and is not acting any differently.
Also, if they are potentially causing him discomfort, is there anything that can do to make him feel as comfortable as possible? :) I was reading online that that foot spurs it is okay to just leave them and they will heal on their own , but also that its crucial that they should be trimmed off by a vet. I am a little confused but the contradictory information.

Hi!

The soles are perfectly normal and there is NOTHING wrong with them!
They act as cushion pillows to absorb the shock when moving fast.

PS: You may want to check whether the nails need cutting back, which may contribute to them standing out more, as will the surface they are kept on; yours is obviouly a nice soft surface from the looks of it.

Hi!

The soles are perfectly normal and there is NOTHING wrong with them!
They act as cushion pillows to absorb the shock when moving fast.
Awesome :) thank you. I worry so much about them lmao.

Back