foraging

rita1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
who goes foraging for there guinea pigs and what is there favourite food.

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Mine love hazel leaves and the grass that grows down the bottom of my road when it gets to about 3ft tall. A couple of handfuls a day. The patch lasts for about a month or so. I grow dandelions for them too which they love. They eat all of it from the roots to the flowers.

Abbie Brooks

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
who goes foraging for there guinea pigs and what is there favourite food.
I mainly give long grass (that I know has no chemicals or animal pee on it) they love that and will sit for ages and eat it - I’ve found it works great for bonding with them too since they finish one strand so quickly they don’t really run off with it. Apart from that I haven’t done much more variety wise - I make chew toys with apple tree twigs but that’s relatively new for me. The occasional dandelion whenever I find one too.

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hands down favourite for my lot is cleavers, which is typical because it brings me out in a rash XD on the plus side there should still be plenty of it around in the right places.
Broadleaf and ribwort plantain, yarrow, grasses, hazel leaves, Apple leaves, birch leaves and Hawthorne leaves are also ones that go down well with my lot and are reasonably easy to find.

Reenie

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I don't feed veg in summer apart from a little pepper. They get wild grass, strawberry leaves and runners, dandelion, beech leaves and anything else I come across and which checks out as safe. The neighbours are quite used to me collecting weeds.

rita1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
what a lovely lot of advice, some great ideas of foraging. lots more food for me to collect. :D