FOSTERING

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I, can you lovely people advise me on fostering please. Might be able to persuade my husband to foster rather than rehome as the guinea pigs won't actually be ours. What is involved? What do I need (besides lots of love and patience)? Who do I contact? Any info would be greatly appreciated so I have all the facts before I start using my 'persuasion techniques' on my husband. Thanks, Karen

Abnoba

Reaction score
this always confuses me. I thought people who rescue piggies and then give them to new homes are actually doing "rehoming".
So not the people who take the piggies in to stay forever with them.

So fostering would just be the same as rehoming, wouldnt it? Keeping them with you until they find that "forever home" ?

Whats the word then for taking piggies in to stay with you? uaaah english is difficult...

As for the original question:

do you have the time? doing homechecks, etc? often rescue piggies will need lots of vet treatment before they are ready to go to new homes, so do you have enough money spare? Also, do you want to be a foster home for some already established rescue?
I think that would be the best start - you get all the advice you need, and they get more space to take more piggies in.

C

cavykind

My advice would be to approach a local established rescue and ask them if this might be a possibility. They will probably (or should) want to get to know you better, maybe you could visit and do some voluntary work with them first. A lot of general rescues also take in guinea pigs, have you a local RSPCA?

If fostering for a rescue, they should remain responsible for all veterinary care, provide food, pen and bedding etc. Each rescue will have it's own ideas so have a look in your Yellow Pages for local contacts or ring your vet and ask if they know of any rescues in your area.

As a small rescue I don't have foster homes apart from a couple of good friends and a long suffering sister who help out sometimes ::)

Barbara

M

maxthepig

I assume you are talking about the kind of fostering which you do through a rescue Clowny?

I foster cats and rabbits- usually when the rescue doesnt have space, or the animals need special care/attention which cant be provided in the rescue.

Both the ones I do this for pay for vet treatment and i sometimes get food etc, but most of the time I pay for this myself, which i dont mind.

When it comes to them being rehomed, Ive had people come to my home to see the animals, or they go back to the rescue after a while. The rescues handle homechecking/adoption fee/forms etc.

i really reccomend it! At the moment I have an old skinny stray cat who is in such a terrible state. i feel so sorry for him, he's just skin and bones :(

Ive also rescued and rehomed some pigs and rabbits myself.

clowny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the advice. I wanted to do something to help guinea pigs, but don't feel that I have the experience, time or money to do full time rescue. I thought fostering was a good way of helping. I have contacted my local RSPCA branch (Burton on Trent) and am awaiting their reply. We have had animals from their in the past and have passed home checks etc, so I am hopeful of a positive response. Will let you know how I get on. Karen

M

maxthepig

Is burton on trent in Leicestershire? There is a rescue called Honeybunnys which is around narborough way who often need fosterers- its mainly a rabbit rescue, but sometimes they have pigs in too. I'm sure Jill who runs it would appreciate you offering to volunteer - she is a member on here, or alternatively here are other details:

Honeybunny's Rehoming Leicester Rabbit Rescue
Narborough
Leicestershire

Tel: 0116 2869887
Email: HoneybunnysR@aol.com

clowny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there, Burton comes under Staffordshire. I live 6 miles away and come under Derbyshire. I am however, close to Leicestershire as well. Very close to all three counties (theres a pub not far away called that in fact). I have checked, and I am quite a way from Narborough, but thanks for the thought. Am awaiting to hear off the RSPCA. Will keep you posted. Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.