• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Found 2 sweet guinea pigs!

Reaction score
Ok, so... I am really not sure what do do hear. I have got in contact with a few rescue centres around my area and I have found 2 which were abandoned on ‘Blue Crosses’ door. The only thing is it is one in tact Male and one female (apparently not spayed) so, there is the chance that she is pregnant. The rescue Center have neutered the Male as they get along so well. Should I do it or is it to risky? Thanks guys loved reading all your messages!

They should really keep her in until pregnancy watch (10 weeks) is over. I’m surprised they’re willing to adopt them out. Another thing to bear in mind is that the boar can’t be kept with the sow until 6 weeks post neuter. And if sow was pregnant and had four pups, would you have the space to house them? If one was a boar he could go in with dad. Just a few things to think about.

After all that, if I were you I wouldn’t. But that’s just me. I think it’s a big thing to take on for tour firs piggies.

I would personally ask to wait until the ten week pregnancy mark is over to confirm if she is pregnant or not if you really want them. I would personally look for another set of piggies, as if she is pregnant taking on pups along with those two is a lot to consider. I’m surprised they are even adopting her out right now. But best of luck! :yahoo:

Oh, I am so glad I asked on here! Good point that they can not be together 6 weeks post the operation! I will have to ask about that. Thank you very much. Hopefully pictures soon!

I agree with @Siikibam - It is surprising that they would allow the adoption of a potentially pregnant female.....
Perhaps they could reserve them for you for after her pregnancy watch/his post neuter period, but it would be a lot to take on if you adopted her before her pregnancy watch is over.

Ok, I was a little bit confused! So I phoned them up and they said that they aren’t together and have been keeping separate since the operation (yesterday). They said that they are willing to sell them both after 6 weeks. So they will both be living together. She also said that I can reserve her until the babies are born if I would like. I think I am going to do that. If she is the one. Thank you everyone!

Ok, I was a little bit confused! So I phoned them up and they said that they aren’t together and have been keeping separate since the operation (yesterday). They said that they are willing to sell them both after 6 weeks. So they will both be living together. She also said that I can reserve her until the babies are born if I would like. I think I am going to do that. If she is the one. Thank you everyone!
Gives you time to continue to learn and understand about piggies on this forum are fantastic guides that will help.
Sorry :wel:

I hope they don’t plan to put them together until at least 6 weeks after he’s been neutered. And a sow goes into season hours after giving birth. The boar could be clambering over the babies to get to her. I don’t know that it would be a good idea to put them together if she is pregnant.

Babies also need mum till 3 weeks. So you’d have to wait 13 weeks if she was pregnant. I wouldn’t discount other rescues, including those a little further away from you. Did you send round emails letting them know you’re looking? And have to started on your setup?

The Blue Cross don’t sell piggies, so I am confused.
Also, if they have only been separate since the neutering operation (yesterday) then the female is potentially pregnant already and should not be rehomed for 10 weeks
Which Blue Cross is this? As I think someone from here may wish to make contact with them about selling piggies and potentially pregnant ones at that

Back