• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Four Guinea Pigs Cage Size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! It's hardly likely I'll be getting one more piggy soon, but I'm just curious as to what the c&c cage size would be for four pigs in grids. The guineapigcages US site says 2x6 for four, but I have three in a 2x7 right now and it feels it would be a little small for four but that's probably just me. I'm also wondering if there's a preferred cage size set on here? What size would you prefer four guinea pigs to stay in? :)

Thanks! If I do get one more piggy (which is unlikely because of my parents, but remaining hopeful), I'd probably try to expand to a 2x8, but my room is crowded by the cage as it is :D I'm curious to hear opinions about this as I'm wondering if it's slightly similiar to conversations I've seen about how most said at least half a hour or hour floor time a day and some actually seven hours minimum.

Yep! Minja (one of the girls and also the piggy in my avatar) is determined to be the leader and so Ginny (the boy) also wanted the reign, but they haven't gotten in any actual fights, just the occasional swagger around the cage and mounting etc. Teddy doesn't seem to care most of the time, and she's probably the most calmest one concerning who is the leader and who isn't. It probably could also depend on if one or more of your girls are incredibly dominant?

Well since we had Badger (sow) pts they seem to be arguing more :/ So they are all trying to dominate each other atm lol, I was hoping a male would help sort it out lol.

You could do a meet up thing first? You could try to put one with the boar at a time. I can't remember what the preferred amount of guinea pigs make it more easier to introduce one at a time. You could get one boar and he could be very soft lol, so I recommend doing the meet up.

Edit: I introduced them to each other all at once, but the girls already are together and the three had ages to spend time chatting to each other in the two separate cages.

He's next to their cage at the moment. Need to lower the correx on the girls cage so he can see them, hopefully if the rescue we got him from has no objections we'll have him neutered next month, it's because he didn't get on with his mate when we got them and rather than give him back I want to just adopt another piggie boar for TK and put Cesaro with the girls. Don't really want to adopt another one, because we already have 9 guineas but I think this is the only way to do it.

Thanks for the advice :)

Ah, no problem. I hope it goes well!

Very quick question if you don't mind, but do you recommend getting guinea pigs from the RSPCA? The nearest rescue other than them is more than four hours away.

I'm moving a bunch of furniture in my room around soon, so it should let me expand to a 2x8 anyway :)

I don't mean to be so off topic, but would they allow me to do a meet up thing even if they didn't end up coming home in the end?

minimum cage size for 4 sows is 2x6 in the UK (recommended by the RSPCA) but if you have a mixed group then generally they recommend adding another foot so your 2x7 should be adequate. If you feel you want to offer further space you could look at having it on two levels but one level should be the recommended minimum as piggies tend to follow each other around so are likely to be only on one floor at any given time

Thank you, Lady Kelly. :)

If I put the cage on a stand of grids, how many would I need to be used for the stand? I have counted fourteen as the bit holding the base up, but my math is terrible. I figure I'd need 28 in all?

Erm... purple?! Sorry my maths is awful so I wouldn't like to try and help you with that one as you'll end up with the wrong information :)) :))

When I rescued from the RSPCA they had the piggy I enquired about but would have happily tried some others if it wasn't looking good. I would ask your RSPCA, hopefully they will have a few piggies that you can try one by one until you find a good pairing (hopefully the first piggy you try). At the end of the day all the rescues want is a good home and a good life for the animals so I think they would rather you left with no pigs than take one that might be bullied by yours or might bully your pigs.

Heh, I've built it now (admittedly with coroplast taped together by the dozen). I haven't counted how many I have used yet, but I'll do it later and possibly post pics on a thread or the c&c thread :D

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. There isn't much luck of getting another right now, but in case of an unlikely situation that required me to, I'll ring them tomorrow and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back