• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Freaking Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexi468

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everybody!
I am having a serious inner struggle!
I am traveling to Michigan (I'm in the US) in a few days, which is about a 13 hour trip. I have scheduled a pet sitter to come to my apartment every other day that I will be gone, which is a little over a week, to take care of Midnight and my other pets. My other pets are much more low maintenance than Midnight is, and I honestly cannot afford my pet sitter for any more than every other day while I'm gone. I've taken Midnight to the vet a few days ago to make sure he was in good health for my leaving, and he is! My concern is that every other day is not enough, especially because he is a single pig, and I'm very worried about him getting lonely. I also usually give him veggies every day and give him floor time. I've left him for two days before, so I have a large water bottle and food/hay bin. My other option is to take him with me to my destination. I have a smaller cage that I bring with me on trips if he has to come, but I have never taken him in the car for more than 8 hours when I moved, and that trip was miserable, I was worried about him the whole time! So I guess what I'm trying to decide is which is the better of two evils: take him with me, or leave him safe and sound in his own home with a sitter every other day? Opinion? Thanks everybody!
P.S. I've inserted some photos!

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

That's a tough choice that no one can make for you. I would worry just as you if I were faced with the same choice. You know better than anyone else what is best for you and Midnight and will do the right thing. He is absolutely beautiful! It sounds like you trust your sitter - if so, that might lend you a bit of relief. My options have always been to either 1. Take the pigs with us (my family does a lot of rv camping) or 2. put them up in a kennel. We take our pigs with us. Our piggies don't seem to mind shorter rides of 2 hours or so, but I don't know how they would do on a 13 hour trip. The guinea pig rescue in my area offers very affordable kennel services and the accommodations are awesome! The price (there are daily and weekly rates) includes all of their food, including hay, pellets and fresh veggies, and a large cage (even bigger than they have at home) where they can run and get good exercise. They have strict rules about staff only (no volunteers) handling the piggies and not introducing them to any other animals. It's like a little piggy hotel. As knowledgable and caring as the rescue is, with an exotic pet vet they can access 24/7 I would still worry to death over leaving my little guys behind, but also feel a little better knowing that people with guinea pig experience are caring for them. It's obvious that you care about Midnight and I don't envy your situation. I found a lot of helpful information about traveling with guinea pigs on this forum and genuine caring and support from people here. You will do what's right for both of you.:)

I don't think every other day will be enough. I think I'd put midnight in boarding kennels, he will be safe & I don't think it should be too many pennies.

its a really difficult situation for you... Have you asked at your Vets to see if anyone could help you out ? Good luck !

Such a hard decision! If it were my avatar pig I wouldn't hesitate to take him, but my current 2 don't travel very well.

Do you have anyone else that could pop in every day that the sitter isn't there just to check they're okay, and top up with hay/water/food?

Could you buy a cheap webcam/petcam and you can keep an eye on them, and highlight any issue to the sitter when they're not scheduled to visit?

Thank you for all of the suggestions!
Unfortunately I haven't had much luck in the US with boarding for pigs. The vet I see just boards cats and dogs. Also, anybody that would be able to check on him lives too far away to come every day :( I've just had an idea about somebody though, so maybe I'll try that. I do trust my sitter. She's never sat for us before but she's insured and certified and has been sitting for about 20 years.
I like the pet cam idea, I'm going to look into that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back