• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Free Ranging - My Happy Bubble Just Burst

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbiS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am so sad - a few lines will explain:

Free ranging piggies
Lifted carpet (why would I do that?)
Looked at underlay
Now having to decide if we should lock them up permanently

Oh dear. Is there anyway you can have woodblock flooring down? i have that in my living room and so much easier for cleaning up any accidents any animals may have and also mud and dust etc. x

I really like carpet - much prefer it to wood flooring. MrS thinks that these piggies may end up being the most expensive ever if we have to re-carpet the whole house. Luckily it does not smell.

I think they will go berserk if we start locking them up again - they are so used to being able to roam. I have put a few more puppy pads down in the high risk areas but MrS thinks they just piddle as they are walking around - I always thought they would look for somewhere hidden or back into a corner. Just not sure now.

I must admit, I don't really think guinea pigs and carpets are a good combination !

Oh dear, that's a shame. They do love their free ranging so much, but there's no doubt it doesn't do the carpets much good.

One of our guineas was free ranging the other day - she had her head inside a fleecey igloo and her bottom sticking outside. Then for reasons best known to herself, she sent out jets of wee all over the carpet. Like a fountain it was. I was able to mop it up before it had a chance to sink in, but I wonder how many times they've done that when I haven't noticed. Our carpet is a 30 year old floral swirly number though, so whilst I'm not exactly rejoicing, I don't feel too upset!

I must admit, I don't really think guinea pigs and carpets are a good combination !
I know - MrS just keep killing himself laughing at me. He thinks it is hilarious that I was in a little bubble where they peed where they are meant to. I pointed out to him that as he wasn't in this bubble then why has he let them pee on the carpet for the last year! Apparently he just likes to do things that make me happy - so its my fault! If I have to lock them up I will miss their zoomies so much and Barney coming to say hi as he wanders passed the sofa :bye:

Oh dear, that's a shame. They do love their free ranging so much, but there's no doubt it doesn't do the carpets much good.

One of our guineas was free ranging the other day - she had her head inside a fleecey igloo and her bottom sticking outside. Then for reasons best known to herself, she sent out jets of wee all over the carpet. Like a fountain it was. I was able to mop it up before it had a chance to sink in, but I wonder how many times they've done that when I haven't noticed. Our carpet is a 30 year old floral swirly number though, so whilst I'm not exactly rejoicing, I don't feel too upset!

On the plus side - our carpet is well scotch guarded so it hasn't soaked any wee up, it has just gone through to the underlay - and we have underfloor heating so it dries fast! lol!

On the plus side - our carpet is well scotch guarded so it hasn't soaked any wee up, it has just gone through to the underlay - and we have underfloor heating so it dries fast! lol!

Oh well, that's something I guess!

You would definitely miss their zoomies if you locked them up, life just wouldn't be the same! Happiness is a free ranging squeaker!

Ours have the run of our hallways in the evenings- they usually go back into the cage to pee, but even so that carpet is pretty much shot after six years of pigs running/digging/eating/occasionally peeing on it. I wouldn't give them the run of a larger area because of it. That carpet will eventually all have to go. Luckily it is in a part of the house that guests don't see that often, because my husband is annoyed at how ratty it looks now!

We have carpet too. But ours aren't free range. If they were though I'd have wood flooring, which I don't like.
:eek:

I have slate tiles in a large part of the house (all the new extention bit) and wood flooring in the rest of the house, the only carpet is upstairs. My animals would wreck any carpet really quickly.
I think that the thing to do would be to pretend that you have not seen it ;)

I love free ranging! Also have carpet and new carpet laid except for the hallway and summerhouse. Shhhussshh when the old man is away! They take it in turns for some sprinting down the hall. It's really funny.

I loved your story, put a real smile on my face. Thank you.

As long as it does not smell @AbiS i would be happy in ignorance! What about poos though, do they just go anywhere or do they have "areas"?
Are they always free range?

Luckily it doesn't smell and I have a carpet cleaner that I plan on using a bit more often. They do the odd poops every now and then on the carpet (not every day) so they aren't so much of an issue.

They get locked up at nighttime and if we are both at work but other than that they freerange. MrS came home from work tonight and said he opened the run and barney ran straight out and started zooming around the furniture as if to say 'I have been waiting all day to stretch my legs' - how can we possibly prevent them from doing that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back