1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This months Forum Photo Competition Winner is Powerpigs with Voltti click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Freezing

Discussion in 'Daily Care, Travel and Climate' started by helenv87, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helenv87

helenv87 Junior Guinea Pig

I thought I had my hutch well insulated but now I'm worried I haven't
    I have silver bubble wrap around the outside of the hutch, with a cover over the top.
    I've restricted my Guinea pigs to the upper deck only as it have less air holes etc.
    The sleeping compartment has a cardboard box that I stuff with hay, and the gap between the box and the hutch has newspaper and an old towel stuffed in as extra insulation.

This morning when I went to check on them the hutch was completely frosted over, it took me ages to unzip the cover to lift up the roof as it was frozen shut.
    The water bottle was also frozen

I know I can stop the frost from forming over the hutch but am worried I haven't done enough to keep them warm inside
    I have covered there water bottle with multiple pairs of socks so hopefully that will help it :(
    I can't bring them inside, put them in shed or add heated items as I don't own a microwave.
    :(
    Has anyone else found there hutch like this, hopefully it's starts to warm up soon

2. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

There is an insulated cover you can buy for water bottles but I'm not sure how well they work as I've not tried one.

Unfortunately we're getting into winter now so the temperatures are going to be the same for a few months, if not colder.

I would really recommend buying a cheap microwave and a few Snugglesafe.

3. eileen

Forum Donator 2016/17

mine are in a unheated shed just over winter.i use the scratch and newton.classic bottle covers and this has stopped them freezing.i change the water morning and evening.in the bedroom area i put a cardboard box,between hutch wall and box i stuff hay,place vet bed with puppypads on cardboard box floor.put two heated snugglesafe pads on top of the vetbed and stuff hay right to the top of box.I agree with @Jaycey that it would be good if you can invest in a microwave and snuggle heatpad,it will relieve your worries,and your guinea pigs will be delighted!:)

VickiA and sport_billy like this.
  4. helenv87

I can't get an microwave as we don't want one, and we don't have anywhere to put one.
    I'm hoping to find some hot water bottles when I'm next able to the get the shops but I'm not sure how long they will keep the heat for but might be a slight improvement to what we have now
    Also thinking of adding more blankets around the cardboard box

5. PiggyOwner

PiggyOwner Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

I'm afraid hot water bottles won't stay warm for long enough . Also, it would be very difficult to get the temperature right with hot water bottles . If the bottles are too hot, you Guinea pigs may get burns .

6. helenv87

Hot water bottles would be the only other things I could add to the hutch.
    I wasn't going to put them directly where they would be, I was thinking about putting it in the section between the cardboard box and hutch that is filled with newspaper etc where they can't get to

7. Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2016/17

Hi,
    I know it can be a real concern having piggies housed outdoors in this weather, the biggest problem is damp. Currently the UK is bathed in a dense freezing fog which means there is a lot of moisture in the atmosphere. It's not a good thing to not provide some level of heat to outdoor hutches, I'm not sure of why you won't have a microwave, assume for health reasons or fear perhaps, either way you would be better in finding an alternative heat source.

1. Water bottles - invest in some scratch & newton bottle covers, they cost around £8 ea.
    2. If you have access to an external power source, then bingo! You can buy a puppy heated pad, the ones with the armoured cable, cover and thing wire which will go through the bars of your hutch. Check out Viovet.
    3. If you don't have external power source, then last ditch is self heating pads. Unlike the summer cooling pads (which are pants by the way!), these are covered with a nice fleecy cover and the pigs don't chew them. I bought 2 and I've been experimenting on them before leaving a review for the forum sometime later this year. You can wash the cover separately and inside is the silver foil stuff which bounces back their own heat. So far I've had the in the houses and the pigs love them. Place your cardboard box over the top of them, stuff with hay, cover your box with a warm thick fleece.
    Ancol Medium Self Heating Pet Pad 64cm x 49cm on Sale | Free UK Delivery.

I've yet to find a battery operated heat source worthy to mention.
    Good luck

VickiA, acapae, Lily & Rose and 3 others like this.
  8. helenv87

I don't want to get a microwave as I have never had one, grew up without one and have never felt the need to get one. That is my choice it is not for health reasons or fear it is because I do not want one.

I agree with needing an additional source of heating which is why I have thought of using hot water bottles.
    I do not have an outside power supply so I won't be able to try the puppy pad

I have some material that sound similar to the self heating pads so I could try adding some of the to the inside of the hutch or the base section to see if that also helps until I can get the proper Maybe covering a hotwater bottle with it might help prolong the heating time
    Looks like the next few nights might be as cold, fingers crossed

Stocked up on hay this morning and gave them almost the full pack, their cardboard box was chock a block full

9. eileen

Forum Donator 2016/17

if you have plenty of hay your piggies should keep warm.a water bottle may help if you are able to place between hutch and cardboard box.maybe just be aware hot water bottles could leak or get near piggies.you could stuff lots of fleece in the box.:)

10. Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2016/17

I'm personally not in favour of hot water bottles, I've seen what my piggies achieved with other like minded remedies and the problem is the burrowing and pushing and clawing their way to whatever it is they can smell. Although on one occasion I managed to put a hot water bottle on top of a metal arch (tall) then covered that with a fleece - it was the only thing that stopped them getting at the bottle but it doesn't keep the heat as long.

11. helenv87

If a hot water bottle isn't going to a suitable solution then I will have to leave them with the box of hay and newspaper/towels around the edges.
    They so far haven't broken through the card board box that has been in there a month so I'm sure they would be ok if I packed it well, I have almost daily access to fresh boxes so I can easily replace it if it starts to look like they are making there through

12. chesca_27

chesca_27 Junior Guinea Pig

Could you get some fleeces from Poundland and add those in? The piggies could then snuggle in them and it would keep them quite warm. There is a chance they will reck them easily, but you get a good sized fleece for £1 that is very soft and warm. I only use these or waterproof fleeces (lap time only) since they are cheap enough to be easily replaced without too much expense. Make sure to cut the labels off. Oreo likes having chewing them, but never manages to even make a small hole.

My only other suggestions would be what everyone else has already said. I have a Snugglesafe, but you'd need a microwave for that. I don't like the idea of hot water bottles as you could burn a piggy but some do last a long time. Then there's the worry they'll find a way to get to the hot water bottle and if you can find a place to put it where they can't, they can never benefit from its heat.

13. helenv87

If I put the hot water bottle in it would be against one of the side walls behind newspaper and card so would be difficult for the them get to it but hopefully they will get the warmth
    The sleeping compartment is big so they could be as close or as far away from the wall as they liked

I might have to give it a try and see what happens but I'm sure they'll be fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.