Fresh smelling room

Elaine Prince

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have my 4 guinea pigs inside now, in a bedroom, but its getting a little smelly in there, even though i clean their cages often. I want to use something to keep the room smelling a little better. Does anyone have any advice on what you can use in the room, that will not upset the guinea pigs, as I have heard they do not like strong smells.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use anything at all. Maybe just open the window. Are they sows or boars? And what are they bedded on?

The thing that usually smells is wet hay. So I would change that out every 1-2 days.

Elaine Prince

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. The piggies are on fleece and they have a tray for their hey, which I do change every other day. They are all girls, but I think its the fact I have 4 now, as it never seemed to happen when there was only the two.

Tara95

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I normally use cage fresh it smells a bit like baby powder and I tend to just sprinkle a bit on the areas that tend to smell (that they tend to wee on and it neutralises the smell) the ingredients all look fairly natural, and you can buy it from pets at home for £5 or I think they have a special deal on amazon where it's £4 for black friday but you probably have to buy quite a few to get free shipping! Some of the more experienced members haven't suggested it so perhaps they think it could be not good for the piggies? It does have a potent smell at times but I presume it's not harmful as it's a popular product advertised for a variety of smaller animals including guinea pigs :)

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How long do you go between full changes? And what do you use in their hay area? Perhaps put some pee pads in the high traffic areas.

Elaine Prince

New Born Pup
Reaction score
How long do you go between full changes? And what do you use in their hay area? Perhaps put some pee pads in the high traffic areas.
I do a full change every other day, the trays every other day too, sometimes every day, and I use newspaper on the bottom, then sawdust, then the straw. They normally wee in the tray.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Do you mean hay instead of straw?

Boars usually go mad with such regular changes but be aware that some sows do it. The more you clean them out the more they may scent mark. It may be that, but as I said it’s usually boars who scent mark so much.