• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Freya has fungal :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I took her to the vets just now as I found a bald patch on her leg the other day and it has now spread onto her foot and her ear :(. Unfortunately, my OH seems to have caught it after he was poorly the other day so I'm now having to treat both of them :)). I'm going to get some Nizoral shampoo this afternoon and I have a clotrimazole cream (1%) that I'm using on her. Is there anything else I need or should do?

Just bumping this up.

Should I separate her from the group or not? There's a lot of conflicting advise. I need some help! :{

I'm sure everyone else does separate their piggies ....... i've never experienced this so i'm sorry......hopefully somebody who has will advise you :)
BEST OF LUCK WITH FREYA XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you Glynis. I do have another cage I can put her in, but I don't want her to be lonely...I also don't want the other 5 pigs to get it too though. I'm gonna stock up on some bits today, so will grab some nizoral shampoo and disinfectant etc. Poor little girl, why do all these things have to happen to her lol. Hopefully it will disappear soon...

Poor little Freya, maybe if you separate her but have her close by.......great idea about getting the shampoo
Now that everyone is awake i'm sure more will advise better than i can :)

I got some Daktarin cream and Nizoral shampoo today, but I don't know how often to use them both. What is recommended?

hi no advice on the treatment but i would suggest seperating her with 1 friend so she doesnt get lonely.

if its ringworma nd your OH has it he needs cream from the dr's to treat it.

I'm just in the process of rearranging my room :)). I've had to kick 3 of them out on the landing so they're less likely to catch it, and I'm going to put her in a cage next to her 2 cage mates, where the c&c for the other 3 used to be. She's never been all that sociable with them so she should be ok I'll just keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't get depressed.

Freya's stopped eating :( I gave her some mushed up pellets earlier and she ate a few spoonfuls, but she hasn't really eaten anything else apart from her veg this afternoon. I'm really starting to worry about her and don't know if I should just put her back with the other 2. I really don't know what to do for the best 8...

i would put her back with the others if she has been with them then they may already carry it!

just treat them too with Nizoral baths as they can incubate it for 1mth before showing signs. so its worth to treat them anyway.

how bad is the fungal? do you have pictures?

the treatment is canerstan twice a day for around 4 wks or until the hair is re-growing and the scabs have all gone.

Nizoral i would do 3 baths a week, then 2 a week for for 14 days, then 1 a week for another week or until the hair has regrown, the others i would do just 1 bath a week for around 4-5 wks x

hope this makes sense lol
also it would be good if the vet could give you Malaseb shampoo its 3-4 treatments once a week, and after the first treatment a few days later you should see results, i would use this really as its better, on your fungal pig and use the Nizoral on the others x

Last edited:
Thank you Claire. I gave all 6 of them a nizoral bath today as a precaution. Her fungal isn't too bad, she has a patch on her leg, that is looking better already (small scabs have gone and it isn't scaly any more) a patch on her foot that looked rather sore the other day, but is a lot less red and swollen now, and a patch on her ear. She seems to be healing quite well. I don't have pictures, but I can take some if you like.
I have also ordered a Manuka and Neem shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas to help (don't know that I really needed it but it was an excuse to get something from there as I've wanted to for ages :))).

Thanks for your advice. I'll put her back with the others now as I think she's a bit sad on her own. x

have you treated them all with ivermec too? as its always best to treat guineas with fungals for mites too! you can also give piriton as well at a dose of 0.2ml once to twice a day this will help with the scratching x

Thank you Claire. I gave all 6 of them a nizoral bath today as a precaution. Her fungal isn't too bad, she has a patch on her leg, that is looking better already (small scabs have gone and it isn't scaly any more) a patch on her foot that looked rather sore the other day, but is a lot less red and swollen now, and a patch on her ear. She seems to be healing quite well. I don't have pictures, but I can take some if you like.
I have also ordered a Manuka and Neem shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas to help (don't know that I really needed it but it was an excuse to get something from there as I've wanted to for ages :))).

Thanks for your advice. I'll put her back with the others now as I think she's a bit sad on her own. x

continue for around 3 weeks with the treatment after the scabs have gone and there is hair re-growth same with your O/H x

I've given them all one dose of Xeno 450. Should I repeat it or will this be enough? She doesn't seem to be scratching too much, but I'll keep an eye on her. Thanks :)

I thought it had started getting better, but have just checked her now and the patch on her ear is bigger and hot to touch, she also has a lump there, and the patch on her leg is bigger and she has got another patch on the outside of her leg now :( I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I'm giving her Nizoral baths every 2 days and Daktarin 2 times a day. What else can I do? or is it just sit and wait until they take effect?

It's really gone down on my OH, it's just Freya doesn't seem to be healing.

I thought it had started getting better, but have just checked her now and the patch on her ear is bigger and hot to touch, she also has a lump there, and the patch on her leg is bigger and she has got another patch on the outside of her leg now :( I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I'm giving her Nizoral baths every 2 days and Daktarin 2 times a day. What else can I do? or is it just sit and wait until they take effect?

It's really gone down on my OH, it's just Freya doesn't seem to be healing.

Hi
Ive got the exact same problem with one of mine, seemed to start to get better now its spreading everywhere, she scratches so bad theres blood all over her, ive been using the canesten for 2 wks now, the vet recommended i use this and the 1st patch seems better, then when i check her theres another patch coming, shes just covered in scabs,
Ive not bathed her in anything yet as my vet said not to, but i might get some of that nizorol shampoo, where do you get it from? ive also been advised to get the sporal d shampoo, but there seems to be lots available, not sure which one to get? xx

i think you need to stop the Nizoral and ask the vet for malaseb shampoo as the Nizoral may not be affective to the type of fungal that your guinea pig has,where Malaseb treats many more types of fungals that Nizoral doesnt and i found it worked wonders with Rodney after the Nizoral didnt work, i wouldnt use the Daktarin for the skin i would use either clotrimazole 1% or canesten 1% both are the same but when i used the Malaseb shampoo i stopped using all creams, pm me when you have the malaseb shampoo and i will go through with you the doseage and how to stop him scratching if he is scratching a lot.

when you bath him you need to pluck with your fingers, the hairs out that are affected with the fungal
with all ivermectin based products they need 2-3 treatments 7-10 days a part, so he will need another 2 treatments x

Last edited:
Hi
Ive got the exact same problem with one of mine, seemed to start to get better now its spreading everywhere, she scratches so bad theres blood all over her, ive been using the canesten for 2 wks now, the vet recommended i use this and the 1st patch seems better, then when i check her theres another patch coming, shes just covered in scabs,
Ive not bathed her in anything yet as my vet said not to, but i might get some of that nizorol shampoo, where do you get it from? ive also been advised to get the sporal d shampoo, but there seems to be lots available, not sure which one to get? xx

same advice to you that i have given the OP Malaseb shampoo is really really good and can only be brought from the vets, ive found if the fungal is spreading so fast the only way to stop it is buy getting some thing like this from the vets, i think Nizoral is really for mild fungal not fungal that is spreading fastxxx

Where can I get the malaseb from? Is it from a chemist or do I get it from the vets?
Thank you

Sorry ignore this, just read your last post mallethead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back