Friend for "chibby"

Status
Not open for further replies.

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don't know what to do about my guinea pig. He is 17 weeks old and at the moment lives in a cage with a grid run attached to it. It is at the side of my computer and he is always running around and popcorning so I'm sure he's happy. The only thing is, would he be happier out in my shed with either a male or get him neutered and get him a girlfriend? I would love to keep him indoors but if I get another hubby says they have to live out in the shed. Which is best, me as a friend living indoors or getting him a guinea friend and put them in the shed. what would you do? If I got another boar how old would it have to be, younger say, 6 weeks or a lot older?

C

cavykind

Hi Linda,
There's no easy answer to this one, we all say "guineas need company" and that is true. Yes, they love company of their own kind, but many are, in my opinion, just as happy with an owner who spends lot's of time with them.
Personally I'd say it is up to you. If you have a lot of time to spend with him, he'll really love being a pampered indoor piggy. I'm a great believer that all guineas given the chance would choose to live indoors!

If you work or have a lot of commitments, then it may be kinder to try and find him a little pal, even if that means going into the shed. If you look for a baby male...the age is something which some of us will have to agree to disagree on ;)
I would say definitely no younger than 6 weeks as you suggest. As always it's a personality thing and an older baby boar might be fine too.

If you choose the castration route, I like to wait until they are 5 months+
I then wait 3 weeks before introducing a female.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Barbara

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I enjoy having him here in the house as you get close contact.He is really funny sometimes jumping about and I would miss all that if he was in the shed. I only work part-time so I'm at home for much of the day. I've only just got the shed but once hubby has put in the lighting, heating, alarm and wot-not I will be getting another couple of piggies. I really want a pair of bonded boars so if anyone in the newcastle area hears of any needing a cosy home please let me know. the shed will be ready in a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.