• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fudge Breathing is not right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

I posted on the forum a few weeks ago about on of my piggies coughing sometimes.
Well took both Fudge and Sid to the vets for a check up and to have thier nails clipped.
Vet stated they were both fine and fudge was coughing due to greed. Both were given a clean bill of health.

The last couple of weeks fudge has been coughing more than usual. Sometimes he would run around his cage like a mad man playing and then start coughing.

On Thursday morning i came down to a funny noise when fudge was breathing. When i went over to him it stopped. I asked my partner if he could hear anything and he said no.
He seemed to be breathing fast / but i thought i was being paranoid as he has always done that / (being a liliac i think you are aware of them breathing more)

Last night we came in from work / breathing still fast / but fudge still eating.

This morning my partner was up before me and when i came down he said i know what you mean about the noise when breathing (its like a ooo ooo ooo). When i went over it had stopped.

I looked at him and he has lost weight / a lot over night. The back of him by his hind legs really goes in when he is breathing.

I have a vet appointment today at 2.30pm / I would have got it sooner but car has had a recall due to a manufacture fault. (Always the way).

I have just cleaned the c&c cage out / disinfected it all and now waiting for 2.30pm / so we can go and get him checked out.

Have a feeling it is a chest infection and will be giving antibiotics. He had this problem when he was a baby. I only had him a week when he had a chest infection. He ended up on medicine for 4 - 5 weeks.

Please think about him / I am very worried.
I will update later when he has been the vet.

Thank you

he has started to fluff himself up now / does not seem to be interested in anything.

Partner on his way having had car checked over / he had to go to southport.

I know appointment is 2.30pm / but as soon as partner gets back / i am going to the vets / they might see him earlier.

I am sure they will as they are very good.

Did the breathing sound like this?
http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=42

It is a concern that he is now puffed up, I too would highly suspect a respiratory infection, so wise move on booking the vet appointment so quickly. Treatment advice, can vary between cases depending on symptoms but basically an antibiotic definitely needs to be started. If no improvement by tomorrow, or if he worsens considerably in the meantime, back to the vet for a diuretic injection (to clear fluid from the lungs).

If there is any nasal congestion, Bisolvon may be worthwhile. Sometimes an anti-inflammatory is also given if there is raspy sounding breathing in the throat.

I recently treated a boar with a URI - symptoms included very raspy noisy breathing and a lot of nasal discharge - and he was on triple-drug injections, which contain Baytril, Bisolvon and Dexadreson (an anti-inflammatory steroid). He responded well to these but I suspect there was an underlying cause of his general illness.

Hi

Back from the vets / it is UTI. He has been given Baytril / Vets wants him to stay on it for at least 2 weeks / if he still is having problems give it to him for 4 weeks. If no better or he is getting worse will need to take him back.

The good news is his eyes are bright and not weeping and there is no discharge coming out of his nose. It looks like he is just one of those piggies that is prone to chest infections.

The vets said if he does not get better he can do diagnostic tests but that means he would have to go under anastetic and they would have to put a tube in to inflate the lungs. He said he would rather not go down that route as some animals do not respond well after it.

So here is hoping that the Baytril will work

just looked at the links you sent me

Yes he sounded like the piggies on the video

Thanks for sending me the links

Just out of interest, if you scroll down to the section on this link about signs of heart problems, do any of these symptoms match up with any of Fudge's symptoms?

http://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

I respect and agree that a URI (Upper Respiratory Infection) is the main issue now, and as such I really do hope the Baytril does do the job. I was just wondering about heart, as many pigs with repeated URIs actually have an underlying heart condition.

Hi Laura

He said at this stage it was not his heart as i asked him about it. He said when he first put the stethoscope there he could not hear the heart clearly as fudges breathing was very noisy.

Then he decided to listen to it again just before we left as fudge was in a better holding position and he said no / his heart is fine.

He did mention that there is tests that can be done on his heart . But he said at this stage it is a definite UTI.

Vet said we should notice a great improvement by 3 days / if he has not improved to take him back and we will consider the other options.

I have just looked at the link. Thank you for taking the time posting it to me.

It is scary that so many symptoms can be other conditions.

These are the the first piggies we have had and i have learnt a lot from being on this forum as there is a lot of people who have years of experience with these animals. Due to people posting about thier experiences have made me become a better cavy owner.

I am the type of person that if in doubt / get the vet out lol.

My friends say we are over protective of our animals. I would rather say that as they can not speak and tell you what they are feeling like baby's it is best to seek medical advice at all times. I could not bear the guilt of not doing the best for my animals no matter how much it costs.

So here is hoping that Baytril will do the trick.

Update on Fudge

Fudge feeling and looking a lot better today.

He has started to eat again.

was a bit puffed up this morning / so have given him his fleece in his C&c cage to snuggle into.

He is made up / looks quite cosy under his fleece.

He is not too impressed with the Baytril medicine / but it is tough as he needs it. The look of disgust does not last too long when i waft a small piece if banana passed his nostrils lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back