• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fun And Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

RingoandOlly

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I thought I would create a thread about toys/activities that you can give/do with your pig using things you probably already have. I don't know if a thread like this has been made before but I'm awful at searching.

Some things that my pigs love are:
Shoe boxes turned upside down with two entrances cut in.
A mountain of hay with favourite veggies hidden inside.
Old towels to snuggle with/hang up in their run.
Hay stuffed into things that are safe to chew e.g. toilet rolls with a slit cut in and paper bags with holes cut in.
Veggies hung up with string.

This thread is for sharing ideas and warning others against any unsafe ideas. Also, post photos of your pigs playing!
Thanks! x

I personally don't have a lot of ideas for 'homemade' toys. The only structure I made is a huge cardboard tunnel for my two. They enjoy it a lot but takes quite some time to make. I'm going to try some of your ideas and see how it works! But I'm pretty sure they won't mind exploring anything.

Mine love the hay inside toilet roll tubes :) I have been meaning to get one of the carrot cottages from pets at home for them to try but I always end up either forgetting or like the other week we came home with another piggy from the adoption centre! I sometimes pick long pieces of grass and wind them through the bars of their cage which they seem to enjoy pulling out too :)

Mine love the hay inside toilet roll tubes :) I have been meaning to get one of the carrot cottages from pets at home for them to try but I always end up either forgetting or like the other week we came home with another piggy from the adoption centre! I sometimes pick long pieces of grass and wind them through the bars of their cage which they seem to enjoy pulling out too :)

That's a good idea! Mine love grass.

Comet loves playing in hay. Paper bags filled with hay (no handles) or putting a bunch of hay on a snuggly (or in one, probably, but I can't do that so I don't know).

And of course, the obligatory hay playing photos

DSC_0526.JPG

DSC_0511.JPG

DSC_0313.JPG

I've tried putting soft hay in a paper bag a couple of times, Coco loves sleeping in it but I normally have to throw the bag out after a couple of hours as it is covered in pee lol.

My pigs also love carrot leaves hung from the cage bars and an old ball I got for them out of a set of three (they destroyed the other two!), with hay stuffed into the whole they made in it. You could just clean an old tennis ball and make a hole in it then add long stems of hay and put it in the cage with the hay pointing up so they can eat it like a plant or pointing down so they have to push it to get to the hay. x

My pigs also love carrot leaves hung from the cage bars and an old ball I got for them out of a set of three (they destroyed the other two!), with hay stuffed into the whole they made in it. You could just clean an old tennis ball and make a hole in it then add long stems of hay and put it in the cage with the hay pointing up so they can eat it like a plant or pointing down so they have to push it to get to the hay. x

Thats a good idea I'll have to try that one!

I bought some willow sticks from pets at home and none of my 7 paid any interest whatsoever. So instead of wasting them I made 3 of these and put them in each cage.

IMG_0683.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG

Turned out none of my 5 girls were impressed at all! But Freddie and billy LOVED it :) they destroyed it and even chewy the willow sticks! So I have just made this one and given it to them :)

My friend gave me some willow sticks for my piggies when her Rabbit died the pigs weren't impressed! When I have a loo roll inner next I'll have to try that! Hope my two boys like it as much as yours!

My friend gave me some willow sticks for my piggies when her Rabbit died the pigs weren't impressed! When I have a loo roll inner next I'll have to try that! Hope my two boys like it as much as yours!

I hope they do too :) how did you get on with the back 2 nature bedding?

I hope they do too :) how did you get on with the back 2 nature bedding?
Its in the hutch now. The top part of the double decker hutch seems to be a lot drier and so does the play pen at the bottom. After all the rain we've had it seems quite dry in there. It's clean out day tomorrow :yikes: Don't like Wednesdays when its total clean out instead of the old quick spot clean. It has to be done though. Shouldn't complain though the piggies can't do it themselves. That's why they have slaves of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back