• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Fungal infection

Okay so I think my guinea pig has a fungal infection he is losing hair on his face in on his lower back and it's crusty I've been reading some of these in that says that it probably a fungal infection. I saw that there are some shampoos that can be used but I also read that guinea pigs faces cannot get wet. Is that correct? Because if so and then I don't know how I'm supposed to put the shampoo on the spots on his face cuz that's mostly where they are

Okay so I think my guinea pig has a fungal infection he is losing hair on his face in on his lower back and it's crusty I've been reading some of these in that says that it probably a fungal infection. I saw that there are some shampoos that can be used but I also read that guinea pigs faces cannot get wet. Is that correct? Because if so and then I don't know how I'm supposed to put the shampoo on the spots on his face cuz that's mostly where they are

Guineautopia

Teenage Guinea Pig
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Please take your piggie to a vets so he can be diagnosed correctly. It’s not recommended to try and treat at home before seeing a vet. He made need specific medicine.

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
I completely agree with @Guineautopia, a correct diagnoses is needed from the vet, it is never recommended to treat on spec when you haven't got a confirmed diagnosis.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
I don't know of a shampoo that directly treats fungal infections. We also recommend not home treating until you are certain what you are dealing with. A mite infestation can cause scabby areas from the itchiness that the piggy scratches. I would strongly recommend a vets trip for accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Home treatments may interfere with the condition and make it harder for the vet to diagnose