• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

? Fungal Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Angus & Fergus' hair is dramatically falling out - i looked like i had a guinea pig hair t-shirt on after weighing them.
There are specks in their hair but no baldy bits. Do babies moult or could it be they have a fungal infection?

They could have a fungal problem Niki - by 'specks' in the hair what do you mean?

Black specks can be mite dust and mites can cause dramatic hair loss.

All pigs moult too though - Tommy is moulting at the moment and there is hair all over!

starshine said:
They could have a fungal problem Niki - by 'specks' in the hair what do you mean?

Black specks can be mite dust and mites can cause dramatic hair loss.

All pigs moult too though - Tommy is moulting at the moment and there is hair all over!

Hi Kate,
Erm tiny specks like bits of hay dust i think. , i only saw them on Fergus' who's black & they looked to be a browny colour. I didn't see any on Angus & there are no bald bits but the hair! I was stroking them and "stroked" the loose hairs up onto their heads, just like when you stroke a dog that's moulting. I also lightly tugged their hair and it came out but i didn't see bits of skin attached.
I've emailed Chrissie, she said babies don't moult & it could be fungal/parasitic.
The "bits" are only on their tops (backs/heads) not their tummies, their hair there is like puppy fuzz.
Does that help any?
It certainly hasn't affected their appetites-they're still munching away ;)

My lot moult practically all the time :D

Not lots, but enough to make a t-shirt messy! Usuallly Tonni gets little bits of food and hay on his 'moulty' hairs.

Are you sure the little bits in their coat aren't crawling lice? They can look very much like bits of hay?

I would be tempted to treat them for lice anyway - Neem Infusion or Lice and Easy Shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas are my fav's but check with Chrissie first to make sure they are suitable for youngsters.

starshine said:
Are you sure the little bits in their coat aren't crawling lice? They can look very much like bits of hay?

I would be tempted to treat them for lice anyway - Neem Infusion or Lice and Easy Shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas are my fav's but check with Chrissie first to make sure they are suitable for youngsters.

No Kate i'm far from sure, but i didn't see anything moving or do they not move?
Their hair's still coming out but there is definitely no skin attached to the root.
I'm waiting for Chrissie's reply after i gave her a better description so i'll def ask

Lucinda said:
could well be bugs.

That's true, whatever it is i wish they'd go home!

I've ordered the lice & easy from Chrissie, what a job that's gonna be - it'll be mayhem! ;D ;D

Bathed the boys today, they were soooo not impressed with that experience. Whatever the bits were, they're now down the plughole & the boys have lovely clean hair ;D ;D

The lice and easy is the best thing I have used for lice.

Hopefully you will soon see the back of them!

Please check the dates on topics before posting - this is nearly 2 years old.

Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back