• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fungal Nose Stripe Bleeding?

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is this..normal? Everything I know about the nose stripes is to just leave it be, theres no way to really get rid of it etc. So thats what ive done. Until today when I knocked it while picking Ebony up to clean them out, she was wriggling so I held her against my body until she calmed down and she rubbed her face on my shirt which seems to have knocked a piece off and now it's bleeding? Not sure why its bleeding if it's fungus! So is this still a fungal stripe or should I get this looked at. It's scabbed over now. She's had the stripe for a few months and it's slowly become more obvious but never looked 'bad' until just now.

Sorry the picture is a bit rubbish, she was not happy and wouldnt sit still.

RSCN7556.JPG

Is this..normal? Everything I know about the nose stripes is to just leave it be, theres no way to really get rid of it etc. So thats what ive done. Until today when I knocked it while picking Ebony up to clean them out, she was wriggling so I held her against my body until she calmed down and she rubbed her face on my shirt which seems to have knocked a piece off and now it's bleeding? Not sure why its bleeding if it's fungus! So is this still a fungal stripe or should I get this looked at. It's scabbed over now. She's had the stripe for a few months and it's slowly become more obvious but never looked 'bad' until just now.

View attachment 84385

Hi! You may want to have it vet checked. It could be a little non-fungal growth. My Taffy had one on her nose.

We're back from the vets! Totally wasn't expecting what they found...a small piece of grass seed had embedded itself between the fungus bits into the skin and caused a little bump which is what had been knocked, so that's out, been cleaned up nicely and we've got a cream to see if we'll get lucky and get rid of the nose stripe. But going to leave it for today so it scabs over otherwise I'd imagine it'd be a bit sore.
Nothing serious at least! Thanks all :)

I am pleased they found that seed, hopefully whe will heal up quickly now.
I had a small bit of hay stuck in the top of my foot, it was sore and swollen for 5 days before I found the cause, it was skin coloured! I must have picked this up from kneeling in the cage to clean it out.

View attachment 84385
That happened yesterday with my piggie, I just put anti bacterial on it.

A couple of my piggies have a small stripe on there noses,two vets have looked at these stripes,both stated it was a pox virus and little can be done,apparently they are becoming more common.apprently rabbits are much more likely to have these.i hope your piggie gets better,must have been a shock @Eriathwen

((We're back from the vets! Totally wasn't expecting what they found...a small piece of grass seed had embedded itself between the fungus bits into the skin and caused a little bump which is what had been knocked, so that's out, been cleaned up nicely and we've got a cream to see if we'll get lucky and get rid of the nose stripe. But going to leave it for today so it scabs over otherwise I'd imagine it'd be a bit sore.
Nothing serious at least! Thanks all :) ))
@Eriathwen please keep us informed on Ebony's progress. As you say Nose Stripe is notoriously difficult to get rid of.

She's actually doing really well, better than I expected anyway. All the crusting has pretty much gone, just left with a hairless bit which seems to be fading. The scabby bump that the piece of grass seed caused has healed up and gone away as well! I dont think it'll go away entirely but as long as it's only cosmetic and not collecting splinters off the floor then I'm happy!

DSCN7557.JPGDSCN7558.JPG

My poor baby has had the same issue before, I just put some anti-bacteria on it and carried on with his treatment to get rid of it (hibiscrub).

Back