• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Funny behaviour

Julienooknook

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to guinea pigs after inheriting 5 about 6 months ago. I would live an answer to this behaviour if you have one. Male guinea if you scratch low middle back whips his head around left and right but doesn't run away. The reason I ask is because hes found a way to do it himself and does it over and over so I'm hoping he enjoys it. Other adult Male also behaves the same.. but what does it mean? And as a footnote where have piggies been all my life at 52 I have a new love!

Hmmm...they generally may not like being stroked so low down. When you say he does it himself, does he jump about before doing so?

When a guinea pig has a strong reaction to his back being touched I immediately think of mites.
Our Eddi did something similar, and it was becasue he was crazy itchy becasue of skin mites, but it took me a while to realise.

Does your piggy have any small sores/scabs anywhere on his back?
I would consider popping him along to a vet for a check up and possibly a round of anti parasite meds.

And welcome to the Forum - it is never too late to fall in love with guinea pigs.
It's lovely to have you on board.
:wel:

Welcome to the forum.
A vet check wouldn’t hurt.
Once when I went to the vet thinking I might just be overly cautious the vet told me they would rather reassure an owner there was nothing wrong than see a sick guinea pig when it was too late to do anything.

Back