• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Funny looking poops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, One of my guinea pigs has been doing some strange looking poops over the last few days. They are joined together in like a string or in a little clump. I was wondering if one of them is starting to suffer from impaction. I am suspecting it could be Bill, he is roughly 3-4 years old and is neutered. ( I adopted him so I'm not sure of his exact age) BIll also lives with Custard and Gerri (girls) who are also approx 4 years. I have checked their rear ends and the girls look fine and all i could see with bill was that he had one normal looking poop stuck there. He didnt seem swollen around the area at all. They are bedded on newspaper and hay and get fresh veggies once a day, they also have pets at home muesli mixed with excel blackcurrant and oregano nuggets and timothy hay in their hay rack. I was wondering if it could be Gerri who is doing them as she has just recovered from cystitis and she has 2 ovarian cysts. Has anyone got any suggestions. Btw, they all seem their usual selves otherwise, just as active and keen for their food as they usually are. Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Ive just got a nice big poo plug out of one of my guinea pigs myself a minute ago and hes only two :/ Poor lad

Keep a check, the muscles can weaken in older boars and sometimes in young boars (rarely sows) and its the soft stools that they would eat that contain the vitamin B. Keep a check on him and if you notice an impaction you'll have to get it out like I just did. Sometimes you can use a little mineral oil or something similar to help lubricate it out.

The one I just got out was nice and smelly

Have you had a closer look at Bill's sac (best with a window open and latex gloves) to check for impaction? He may just have the beginnings; you are obviously a very observant owner.
http://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

I would recommend that you try to feed proportionally more hay and less veg for the time being; that will help with the bowel movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back