• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Funny noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Karen and my guinea pig, Annie, is a year and 8 months old. It's starting to get cold in my house and I do my best to keep her warm. Lately I've noticed that when she is smelling things or something of that nature, she makes a weird noise as she breathes. I didn't know if it had something to do with her health, like maybe she is too cold, or if it could be related to something else.

Any input or advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!:)

Karen

What do you keep her on?

I kept all mine on shavings for years, til Dodge came along and was a slightly wheezy, sneezy boy, switched him to shredded paper and he is fine - I think he is just a lot more sensitive than my girls (typical bloke...)

You could also try heat pads for winter, I have just ordered some from Vet-Uk.

I keep her in a cage with carefresh natural premium bedding. its what ive always used. You dont think the cold has anything to do with it?

Also I figured she was just in heat when she makes a purring sound when she gets close to someone but it's been happening for about 2 weeks straight and is pretty consistant.

I would suggest you take her immediately to a vet and get a check up to make sure she doesn;t have a respiratory infectiion. Go now and a couple fo doses of antiboitc should start to sort it out - leave it any longer and it might be too late.

However you need to find a cavy savvy vet - whereabouts are you? I'm guessing in view of the climate conditions that you;re north of the Wtaford gap? Let us know your location and we will find you a good vet.....within the next 24 hours (in view of the fact she has already had these symptoms for over 2 weeks?)

x

Watford gap? I live in New Hampshire, which is in the United States I know of a vet in town so I will have to check to make sure they can care for guinea pigs.

Thanks for all your advice!

Karen

Watford gap? I live in New Hampshire, which is in the United States I know of a vet in town so I will have to check to make sure they can care for guinea pigs.

Thanks for all your advice!

Karen

piggie for over the seas ! yay , but i have to say my old piggie used to look liek he was sniffin alot and made like sneezing noises lol. vet said he was jsut nosey and had hay fever ,the sneezing was just because he was sniffing in the dust lol. the sneezing did sound like a rasping noise tho.. but i still say vets to check and make shure:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back