• FORUM DONATIONS OPEN The forum relies on your help to continue running, if you would like to help keep the forum running then you can find out about donating here

Funny Smell/ Piggies being aggressive :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leanne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Jack and Victor has started being quite aggressive towards each other which I have put down to standard dominant behaviour. Victor tends to bully Jack a bit but I hoped it would calm down now I have got them a run (which they love). They seem happy enough, popcorning away when they are out but they have started squaring up to each other and chattering their teeth. They quickly go back to popcorning again but I’m a bit wary because this odd smell has appeared. I don’t know if one of them are spraying? It doesn’t smell very nice anyway and when I picked Jack up he was a bit smelly.

Should I be worried if it is going as far as spraying? I was scared to leave them this morning in case they had a big fight. :-/ One minute they are happy enough popcorning then they look like they are ready to kill each other! They don’t seem to play together and sleep separately too.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The smell is just him saying that hes in charge. Do they have seperate bowls, living quarters etc? trying to make them share can cause arguments

Leanne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks, yes i've bought two of everything. Sometimes they steal each other's food though which is the main cause of the arguements. And the fact that Victor thinks he has the right to everything haha! :(|)

Leanne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks, yes i've bought two of everything. Sometimes they steal each other's food though which is the main cause of the arguments. And the fact that Victor thinks he has the right to everything in the cage/ run haha!

Salt n Peppers mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Spraying/stealing food/ are normal :)

Squaring up and teeth chattering are normal and as long as it doesnt excalate - sticky thread that explains all.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28949

Boars dont tend to 'play' with each other as such but will fill their day, eating pooping, following, coping and communicating with verbal sounds and body language. And daily displays of 'I'm in charge' behaviour..

Also when you put them in a new enviroment such as a play area they generally go through the normal dominace rituals to re establish who's boss in that enviroment and can start again when you put them back home.

Leanne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They were lunging at each other last night. I'm picking up another cage today in case it gets worse. :(

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my two have been doing all this for weeks, but i am keeping them together until they/if they draw blood.

Leanne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think i was just alarmed because their teeth chattering has increased and last night i was worried that Jack was chattering at both me and Victor!

Hopefully not, i'll see how they are tonight. Thanks again.

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my two are doing it all the time, i slept in the same room as them last night and i couldnt believe they actually do it all night long, grumpy grumpy pigs! :))

piggyme234

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My girls have been a bit stroppy recently. I think it is the weather, it happened last year about march time I think. Loads of people on here were saying their piggies were acting grumpy. We put it down to the change in the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.