Fur Ball Or What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachsan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was cleaning out my guinea pigs cage yesterday and found a large clump of what seemed to be fur (like a fur ball). My husband had a look at it as I was worried it might be a baby guinea pig and felt a bit squeamish. He said it felt quite hard and looked like a mix of fur and perhaps poo or nuggets. Both of my guinea pigs appear happy, are eating fine, running around, chatting normally plus there doesn't seem to be any signs of illness or pain. My only concern was that one of them chewed part of a plastic fastener and I think may have eaten it. Do guinea pigs produce fur balls? What could this 'ball' be?

Rachsan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't post a picture as my husband went and threw the 'lump' away...grrr

Piggly

_
Reaction score
How weird! Guinea pigs don't produce furballs. What age and sex are your guineas?

Closest I can think of is if one or more of your guineas is male he could have passed some impaction... but its very unusual for them to do so themselves.

Rachsan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Both of them are females (I hope! I was told that they were females!) about 6 months old. I panicked that it might have been a baby so couldn't look at it but when my husband looked he said there was no blood or body parts. What could it be?

Piggly

_
Reaction score
Well, if it was an underdeveloped baby at that size I'd have thought it wouldn't have hair in any case! I don't think you need to worry, its likely just to have been a bundle of muck from the base of the cage. If you have any doubts about whether both are female though you can either post us some clear photos here or get them vet checked :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
That is very strange. I would recommend a vet check, too! Are you sure that both are female?

Rachsan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was told that they were both girls. Apparently they are sisters. I think I will keep an eye on them for the next few days and then decide if to take them to the vets or not. I think it was probably a mix of poo, fur, sawdust and hay but it still freaked me out. Thanks for your advice and help though.

Piggly

_
Reaction score
Do their bits look the same? Perhaps one isn't eating her soft poops and it got mushed up with everything else. I agree just to keep an eye on them, just in case.

Rachsan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have never looked at their bits! One of them is so speedy she won't sit still enough for me to look! I will try my hardest to have a look!

Piggly

_
Reaction score
Alwats good to get into the habit of checking them to make sure everything looks as it should. Check that their bums are clean and dry, and that there are no lumps and bumps where there shouldn't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.