• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Furry poop balls?

Amyrosexo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!
So a few days ago I was cleaning out one of my pig cages and noticed something that looks like a few fluffy poops but they were quite big, but I’ve not found any since then in their cage. They are Two boars one around 2/3 and the the other a little older (I’m not sure on his age as he was adopted) they are also very overweight and are currently on a diet. Someone I know said it could be due to their weight and are unable to clean their bum area which I have checked since and I can’t see any poop or lots of dirt (they are due a bath tomorrow)

But today I have gone to put some hay in my new pigs cage ( who are also boars but are around 1 year old and are the normal weight that they should be) and I have found another furry poop but this one is a lot bigger than the one in my other cage, I honestly don’t know if they’ve pushed it out or groomed it. I’m really confused and A little worried that I’m doing something wrong.
The photos that I have are from the one I found today.

if anyone has any idea please help and I will keep a lookout for anymore.
thankyouu in advance! ❤81904853-0836-4C1C-B34F-86BBBF40BFCA.jpeg435F8917-6666-4523-8092-3BFE150E9930.jpeg4A67825A-C432-4378-9CCE-EC20C09CCC8E.jpeg

I’ve never seen anything like that. Are you sure it’s poo? 🤷🏾‍♀️ I’ll tag @Piggies&buns @PigglePuggle

Also, what makes you say they’re overweight?
It looks like a mixture of fur and poo in person more than on picture.
and my oldest two are double the weight they Should be, I don’t know if you can tell in their photos

Attachments

• 0FE36738-2C00-4FAA-9F62-264FC2A956BF.jpeg
    0FE36738-2C00-4FAA-9F62-264FC2A956BF.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 16
  • B82645E5-969C-44EA-98CF-E9CABA3B950C.jpeg
    B82645E5-969C-44EA-98CF-E9CABA3B950C.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 12
Have you looked at their bottoms? Is there anything around the bottom or in the anal sac?

Is their diet something the vet told you to do? What are their weights? Have you checked their heft?
keep them on a good hay based diet, with 50g of veg, one tablespoon of pellets each (which is about 6g) and plenty of exercise

As above what do they actually weigh and how old are they? They generally do puff up when they’re eating so we can’t really say from the photo. Best thing is to weigh weekly and feel their heft.

Have you looked at their bottoms? Is there anything around the bottom or in the anal sac?

Is their diet something the vet told you to do? What are their weights? Have you checked their heft?
keep them on a good hay based diet, with 50g of veg, one tablespoon of pellets each (which is about 6g) and plenty of exercise

The vet told me to spread their pellets around their cage as they just sit in front of the bowl and eat. I already spread their veg around and hide it around the cage for them to find. And they have constant access to hay.

they were 3000g each and are down to 2500g (I know that’s shocking please don’t shout at me)
I’ve got to check their bums again later as I didn’t have chance yesterday as I had work. Once I have checked I will let you all know.

Could it possibly be something that has come out of the hay (I know I often find things in hay like feathers or leaves) I only suggested this as you have found them in both of the cages?!
I’m honestly not sure,, I hope it is. Like I said I found 2 in the oldest piggies cage last week and non since and then another in the younger piggies cage yesterday. And I would be very worried if one of those had pushed it out with the size of it. 🤦🏼‍♀️
but I’ll check their bottom areas Like the others Are advising and let you know.

As above what do they actually weigh and how old are they? They generally do puff up when they’re eating so we can’t really say from the photo. Best thing is to weigh weekly and feel their heft.

The boars in the photo are Fudge who is around 2years old and smudge who I think is 4/5 but I’m not sure on his age as he was adopted but I know he is older than fudge.

the new pigs that I have are also boars that are both 1 year old.

The vet told me to spread their pellets around their cage as they just sit in front of the bowl and eat. I already spread their veg around and hide it around the cage for them to find. And they have constant access to hay.

they were 3000g each and are down to 2500g (I know that’s shocking please don’t shout at me)
I’ve got to check their bums again later as I didn’t have chance yesterday as I had work. Once I have checked I will let you all know.
When did you last weigh them? What do you feed them and how much? Pellets should only be a tablespoon each day per piggy. Veg 50g.

Last edited:

Yes spreading the pellets around the cage is a good idea particularly for boars to stop food hogging, but it also gives them something to do. However it still must be limited to just one tablespoon per pig per day and then sprinkle around the cage. If they really are those weights I would cut the pellets down and only give them half a tablespoon each per day. I give my boys half an hour to eat their pellets and then any that are left I remove (I also scatter the pellets for my boys)

We wont shout at you, don’t worry, we will support you. Are those weights from the vet?

Last edited:
I’m inclined to think it’s something in the hay - as Freya1234 says - I’m sure if it was a digestive problem it would be inclined to continue - you are doing well with sorting their diet and getting them to find their food ! Also if they are now down to 2500g that’s really going the right way ! Well done 😊 As Piggies&buns says you’d never be shouted at on here. Everyone is very friendly, kind ,helpful and supportive ! We all love guinea pigs ! Let us know how things go it’s a mystery 🙃

I have found Clumps of dried cow clap in a large bag of hay. They obviously went through the packing process before ending up in the sack of hay. I noticed them when they landed with a loud clunk when landing on the bottom of the cage. So those chunks you have found might be something similar as dung can contain hair from the cows tails. Hope its nothing more sinister.

I was going to post and say it could be something from hay before reading that other people have already suggested it. We had muddy clumps of hay in our hay sometimes so it could be that!

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply my phone decided to break on me and I have just got a temp replacement!
I have checked all of my piggies and there is no muck around their bums or any sign of problems!

another good point is I bought a new bag of hay today as they ran out of the other one and as I’ve put some in their hay rack I have spotted another “furry poop” So it has come from the hay!
I have prayed to the guinea gods!

in relation to my little fat boys... I never used to weigh their veg as I didn’t know i needed to at first and I didn’t think that veg would make them chunky (how wrong was I haha) , but I am now doing so, to make sure I am not feeding them too much of that (no matter how much they hate me for it haha) their weight is what I got myself from the weighing scales I had.I’m currently trying to find some digital scales to use as I think they are better than traditional ones.
I have also cut down the pellets and they only have those once a day, sometimes I will take one out as he’s really greedy so the other doesn’t get chance to taste them. Sometimes I’ll give them a little more but not much I promise.
Thankyou all so much for your help, this group is amazing! ❤️❤️❤️
@DougalandDiego @worried val of york @Roselina @Piggies&buns @Siikibam @Freya1234

If you scatter feed the veg and pellets (as suggested by Piggies&Buns) then there won’t be any hogging going on. It’s not a good idea to separate them at meal times. Pellets should only be a tablespoon per day for each pig.

Please weigh weekly going forward. Also you need to feel their heft to see if it’s ‘acceptable’ or not.
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Glad to hear that it was just something in the hay and your piggies are okay!

Yes that’s good news it was in the hay Amyrosexo ! I think sometimes bits can get into the hay - luckily I’ve only ever had a bit of wood ! Sounds like you’re doing very well and it does take adjustment. My two boys wheek at tea time til they get they veg ( as if they’re starving ) and then they know that that’s it for veg today ! I think you would find digital scales more accurate . They are fairly cheap to buy - have fun !

Back