Fussy boys!

R-stony

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My two boys are quite “high maintenance” with their food. They only like a certain kind of nugget and will only eat carrots and cucumber. They literally turn their noses up if I dare to give them peppers, tomatoes, apples and squeak until I give them their desired munchies!

However, this evening I trialed some broccoli heads and they did not throw it back at me... so possibly a new favourite of theirs. I just wanted to know, how often can I give them broccoli as I know it is high in something that’s bad for the piggies.

Thanks in advance x

Attachments

The2musketeers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They can have grass from your yard as long as there is no chemicals on it and I would try to occasionally feed them strawberries. have you tried giving them romaine lettuce, kale, tomatoes?

Minnieandpebbs

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Awww soo cute 😍

I agree with The2musketeers, my piggies LOVE grass and will eat it all day if they could. My piggies like kale but not very big fans of tomatoes but some Guinea pigs love it so worth a try. Another favourite of theirs is lettuce, not iceberg, they will munch on it all and then ask for more, so definitely a hit. Broccoli can only be fed a couple times a week with it maybe giving you piggie bloating.

R-stony

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They can have grass from your yard as long as there is no chemicals on it and I would try to occasionally feed them strawberries. have you tried giving them romaine lettuce, kale, tomatoes?
I did try tomatoes, they completely refused that. I’ve not tried kale so I shall experiment with that! Thank you 😊

Eviolus-

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just want to add about animals, not the best idea to give it straight from the garden if there's dogs and cats about

Lorcan

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have you tried coriander? Not meet a pig yet that dislikes it.
I have! But he had some weird food tastes anyway lol.

My last pair were fed on a general diet of salad leaves (there were scuffles over the spinach), lettuce (usually little gem), kale, coriander (when Comet would actually eat it), parsley, dill, thyme, spring greens, carrots (and their silks), cucumber, peppers, beans, and the occasional melon and blueberry treat. It took some convincing to get them to eat a good number of those things and I could never convince them to try broccoli (which is great, because I can't stand the smell) or courgette (and I can't stand those either lol). I'd literally try foods that they can but won't eat as often as possible. They will get the message eventually.
And no, I'm not recommending you feed the things on my list frequently. Not all of them should be eaten on a regular basis.

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have you tried celery and green beans. Also all colours of pepper? Sometimes they like one more than the others.

Carrot should be given as a treat due to the high sugar content.

Good luck! Sometimes it’s like having children 😏

Seven7

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Romaine lettuce is given everyday to my boy Finn and Lara. Along with romaine lettuce, baby spring veggies are also popular with them and they have never refused to eat these veggies everyday.
Herbs often accompany their veggies, herbs like coriander, basil, parsley, dandelion and etc. They always finish herbs before they get to eating veggies.
I also give them cucumber, baby carrots, and some fruits like blueberry, watermelon, apple, orange and etc. sometimes.

I try to give everything and if they don't eat it, I am not worried becuase they can already eat variety of veggies, herbs and fruits.

I give them endless supply of Oxbow hay and some Oxbow pellets. This I feel is very important that they always have hay throughout the day.