• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fussy Boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My two piggies are really fussy and I'm starting to worry they re not getting enough vit c.

They love celery, cucumber, parsley and corn on the cob but thats about it, oh, and they will eat a small amount of carrot.

Ive tried broccoli, cabbage, kale, and cauliflour leaves. They wont eat fruit, ive tried apples, pears and strawberries. Ive just put them a banana in and theyve sniffed it and walked away mumbling to themselves (i can only imagine what theyre saying lol). ;D

They eat plenty of dried food (pets at home nuggets) and hay, its just the fresh food theyre fussy about.

Anyone got any ideas?

Celery, cucumber and carrot are some of the basic that are safe to feed everyday so its good they eat those.

Broccoli... have you tried feeding the stalk not the head? Thats the bit they like. Mine love kale and Cauliflower leaves as a treat but all pigs are different.

Fruit wise most pigs are a bit more fussy. I give it as a treat. Suprised about the apple chopped small most of the go mad for it! Banana wise did you leave the skin on? I never did before and they wouldn't touch it but since I discovered you are supposed to leave the skin on they go wild for it.

Some pigs are fussy... it means they are well fed and so can be choosy. Others eat anything in site! I have a mix of both types!

Have you tried...

baby corn? Cherry tomatoes? Washed dandelion leaves? Melon with or without skin? these things are favourites here

I did leave the skin on the banana but they just turned their noses up at it. I've just whizzed round the corner to sainsburys and bought a bag of rocket and a bag of mixed greens like spinach, pea shoots, and other bits from the reduced section (tight i know)!
Just put some in with them and fingers crossed, they are having a nibble.

I also bought some parsnip and swede to try tomorrow.

I will try melon though and broccoli with the stalks on because i didnt know that was the bit they liked.

Thanks.

Parsnip and swede don't go well with my lot here! So good luck with it! My lot are also fussy too so am always changing foods!

Understand the fussy pig thing, Willie is like this all the time. My mom had him two weeks ago when I was on vacation and asked about him being finicky and I said yes he is but he's spoiled. He loves spinach, parsley occassionaly, cuccumber, carrots, peas, dandelion, mixed baby greens and sometimes bok choy, and a few others occassionally. He will eat apple once in a while and a few grapes but not much on fruit though. Good luck!

I had a good look at the shopping list on here and each week keep trying them with new things.

They sort of have a sniff and a lick and then Ginge looks at me and mutters something (I dread to think what!)
9 times out of 10 they turn their noses up at it but they will eat beansprouts now and also watercress, so bit by bit they are eating a bit more variety.

Their all time favourite though is still cucumber and if they dont get a slice before i have my brekkie i get a right telling off! ;D

Hi my pigs won't touch banana either or Swede. The boys love carrot but the girls aren't so keen. They all love parsly so i am growing some in the garden. They love lettuce but i read somewhere that this isn't to good for them so i only give small amounts.

I feed mine Gerty guinea food because that is what was available locally but i gather this may not be the best choice? They do leave a lot. Tried some pets at home round green pellets but they weren't keen on them. Any ideas?

Alex have a look at the important topics at the top of the food section on here. They review lots of the different dry foods.

My two have the pets at home nuggets and get on great with them as thats what they had before i bought them.

Hi thanks for the tip. Am using up food that i have then i am going to try wagg food i see it is available at asda. I fuss more about what my pigs are eating that the rest of the family :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back