• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fussy eaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

janew

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Every now and then I try to introduce new foods to my boys that they've never had before, but they never touch anything different. Yesterday I gave them some rocket, which I thought they'd love - but they blankly refused to eat it.

They love spring greens (this is the only cabbage they'll eat), carrot, brocolli stalks, cauli leaves, parsley, spinach, cucumber and corn on the cob but turn their noses up at anything else (they have spring greens and carrot twice daily, the others are more treats a couple of times a week). There's so many other types of veg, herbs, salad leaves etc that they could eat to give them variation, but they just stand and look at anything different without even an exploratory nibble.

J is about 18 months old and the little ones are about 9 months old, and they only eat the foods that were given to them when they were younger. Knowing how inquisitive they are and how much they love food, I thought they'd welcome a bit of variety and the chance to try something different.

I've tried mixing new veg with things I know they like, but they just dive in and pick out the best bits.

Can anyone offer any advice as to how I can tempt them into trying new foods, or should I just accept that they're happy eating the same veg every day?

Thanks,

Jane

How amny times have you tried giving them the same new veg? I read somewhere that if you keep putting a little bit in with ther other veg, they might try it out and possibly find they like it. I've tried it with my piggies, some times it worked, sometime it didn't.
After multiple attempts if they still don't try it, I think I'd give up.

As they like carrots, have you tried them on carrot tops? I give them to mine whole (still attachted to the carrot)

i would just persevere and try a little and often.

My two are the same, they only like kale, cucumber, red pepper, melon and celery but have just started liking carrots and mange tout (but only these when chopped in two?!)

They used to eat brocolli but dont anymore x

Haha! My squigs love carrot, but only when it cut into disks :| They won't eat it if it's in stick form

Thanks guys, I'll persevere for a bit longer. I normally just try a couple of times but leave the food there for a couple of hours - maybe I expect them to eat it as I know how much they love their veg (they can demolish a bowl of spring greens in minutes!).

I haven't tried them on carrot tops yet, as I just buy a big bag of carrots for them and us to eat as its cheaper. Going shopping this week so might try and get some with the tops on.

Fussy little gits (but I do love the little fellas)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back