• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

G-Force - what does this mean for guinea pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andersons

This film can only do harm to G / pigs and it makes me angry.

Just like when the Disney Dalmation films and cartoons were released there was a glut of breeders exploiting the public who immediately wanted a cuddly Dalmation puppy.

Thousands of Dallys were left unwanted and often abused at home all over the world because of impulse buying. The rescue centres were left to pick up the carnage.

I hate to say it, but this WILL happen with G / pigs in a few weeks time. The centres will be over run once again.

My advice is not to pay (and don`t put money into the pockets of Disney). Just wait until it comes on TV and see it for free.

If Disney make a profit they will bring out a sequil and it all starts over again in a couple of years.

Sorry to be such a grumpy on this matter but it inevetibly leads to animal exploitation every time you pay to see these Disney films.

Anders, :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand your views but at the same time this could be said about a lot of things and the only option would be for people that do enjoy seeing films such as me and who are sensible and wouldn't buy an animal just because they've seen it a film from missing out. You have to just hope people have common sense and dont let children pester them and hope that if people do buy piggies and find out in a few months that they cant look after them then they do the right thing and pass them onto a rescue.

People need to make their own decisions in life, life cannot be constantly censored. If kids didn't see g pigs in a film they would only see them elsewhere, such as in the old adverts for egg card. You cant ban animals from ever appearing in the media!

fair enough they are your views but alot of people will enjoy the film disney is aimed at children mostly and what attracts children animals so they are going to make films that are going to make money. well you could say that about other films . some are violent are you going to say people will go out fighting if they watch these films

fair enough they are your views but alot of people will enjoy the film disney is aimed at children mostly and what attracts children animals so they are going to make films that are going to make money. well you could say that about other films . some are violent are you going to say people will go out fighting if they watch these films

Similar things happened with 101 Dalmations and Ratatouille - not long after they were out there was a spate of unwanted dogs and rats when people realised that these animals actually required CARE and the kids realised they DON'T talk and act like superheros.

It might be a good film but I don't like the way guinea pigs appear to be portrayed in it - small cages, amongst other rodents, playing in exercise balls. The thought scares me, really.

There are about 462 threads on this film at the mo, I'm going to start merging them if they fit in with other topics.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35285 for a poster to put up in your local vet, cinema, window etc

i really do agree about this film being bad,not only will i not be supporting it but until now i dont even like posting in threads about it,i can see alot more unwanted GP's coming out of all this and once again so many being PTS just like what has happened after all the other animal movies,so I'm with the OP on this one xxxxxxxxx

G-Force

Went to see "G-Force" at the cinema yesterday - fab film. Saw the 3D version and it was brill although cost £9.20 each! but well worth it.

I'd read two reviews which basically said it was pants but they were clearly written by non-GP fans!

My husband thinks i'm the saddest person in the world cos I also bought the DS game - that's not so brill - am not overly keen on patform games and you can't see where you're going - but overall not too bad.

I'm going to see it in 3D on Wednesday and I can't wait! Me and my boyfriend are going. It is expensive but I haven't seen a film in 3D yet so I'm glad you think it was worth it :(|)

G-Force : Good Or Bad?

So as many of you all know, a new film 'G-Force' has been released. It must be an amazing film by having guinea pigs in it, along with comedy and drama. But, will this be a good film, or a bad film? It made me think, so if people take younger kids to see it, then they will want to have guinea pigs as a pet because since they saw the film, they might think that guinea pigs look fun to have as pets. So, mum & dad goes out to the pet store and buys their child a guinea pig(s). So the child looks after it for a few days and then after a while they decide that they don't want it anymore because as I know, guinea pigs are alot of hard work to look after.

Could this be a big problem? :(

I would love to see it, purely because it's guinea pigs!

But the boring, more sensible and realistic part completely agrees with the original post. I do feel that in a few weeks there will be unreputable breeders churning them out to meet demand and add to an already large unwanteds problem.

At the end of the disney film Beverly Hills Chihuahua, there is a message saying that pets are a life time responsibility, i also think that partent should be more wise than to allow there children to get a pet just because of a film (with the parents) knowing that they will NOT do nealry all the things that are in the film, and to be honest the fim allready out probably seen by thousands of people and the best thing we can do as guinea pig lovers and animal lover is to let people know about the real responsibilty thats involed in taking care of any pet and hope that people realise that they eather cant or wont be able to look after one or might acctully enjoy having a G pig witch could be positive thing, but we cant tell people what to do and as g/pig lovers we will just have to try and do what we can. xashx

Someone mentioned on another thread that people aren't stupid, that obviously a CGI'd butt-kicking special agent guinea pig is clearly not in existance - no, of course - but what they might see is a cute little furry that may live for a year or so and not need that much attention after the initial buzz wears off and be left and almost forgotten at the bottom of a garden in a hutch all alone because the parents didn't think to research them first and foremost. Especially when it comes to poor choices like excercise balls!

We are relatively educated on here and know stuff about pigs. If we don't know about it, we care enough to ask. We know that they last longer than a year. But it's not people like us I'm concerned about! A whining persistant child with a worn down parent can be a powerful thing! :))

It'll make me sad when there are tons of guinea pigs in the local shelter. It won't be nice when little kids are saying- "It's boring, it doesn't do the things that the guinea pigs did in the movie! I don't want it anymore." And then give it to the shelter. I've already seen a few little whiney kids at the pet store begging for guinea pigs. Ugh. :(

Well, unless you boycott every single thing in the media that involves animals, there's not much you can do.

If not Guinea Pigs then it'll be another animal.

I personally loved the film. The only problem I had was Darwin using the wheel that ONE time. Other than that there was nothing in there that made me think "WRONG!".
It's about Special Agent Guinea Pigs for lawds sake. If there are parents out there that will give their kids a Guinea Pig because of this one movie...Then those same parents are simple enough to give their kid any pet that appears in any movie.

As I said. Unless you boycott or they ban animals from appearing on Tv, that isn't going to change.
Picking on one movie because it has animals we love in it, doesn't really sit well with me.

I'm one of those people that can't hate on something without seeing it for myself.
I have to know what it is that I'm against before I can be against it.
And Disney did a top notch job on this one.

Since Disney base themselves around talking animals, I have to say that every animal on the planet is in trouble...If we're going to think of it that way.

We are relatively educated on here and know stuff about pigs. If we don't know about it, we care enough to ask. We know that they last longer than a year. But it's not people like us I'm concerned about! A whining persistant child with a worn down parent can be a powerful thing! :))

yeah i think that the parents are to blame for giving in to their children and buying pets on a whim.
parents should be educated and toughened against their children!

If not Guinea Pigs then it'll be another animal.

It's about Special Agent Guinea Pigs for lawds sake. If there are parents out there that will give their kids a Guinea Pig because of this one movie...Then those same parents are simple enough to give their kid any pet that appears in any movie.

Picking on one movie because it has animals we love in it, doesn't really sit well with me.

I'm one of those people that can't hate on something without seeing it for myself.
I have to know what it is that I'm against before I can be against it.
And Disney did a top notch job on this one.

My personal view isn't necessarily because it is about guineas specifically, on that point I agree with you 100%. It could be any animal. But I when I hear rescues talking about the grossly increased numbers of whatever animal there is a big movie about after the event, that does concern me. I keep in touch with a number of both local and national GP rescues and will be curious to know what happens to their numbers in the coming months. My concern doesn't stop there. I also worry about the commercial breeders who will be churning them out to keep up with increased demand for which ever animal.

I think we are all educated enough to know that guinea pigs don't do the things that they do in GForce! :{ My particular worry isn't with that. It would be good if Disney could put up a little message after the film and before the credits to remind parents that guineas can last up to and over 8 years and need to be researched before impulsively buying - as should ALL animals.

Other than all that, I would LOVE to see it - a film about guinea pigs - who wouldn't want to see that on this board? :(|)

Last edited:
I agree with both sides of this argument... :{

It's impossible to outlaw films focusing on animals, for all the reasons people have said. On the other hand, the Teenage Mutant Hero movies saw a lot of turtles being rejected when children discovered they weren't as exciting as the movie suggested. Wasn't there a similar problem with clownfish after Finding Nemo? So the common-sense/responsibility factor clearly doesn't always kick in, however much we would expect/want it to...

Because guinea pigs are cheaper/more readily available/ relatively low-maintenance (compared with tropical fish and turtles) I am concerned this film will mean many more guineas in rescue. But I guess until humans start behaving rationally/compassionately, whatever anthropomorphic films are made about, some poor animals will suffer....:(

I agree with both sides of this argument... :{

It's impossible to outlaw films focusing on animals, for all the reasons people have said. On the other hand, the Teenage Mutant Hero movies saw a lot of turtles being rejected when children discovered they weren't as exciting as the movie suggested. Wasn't there a similar problem with clownfish after Finding Nemo? So the common-sense/responsibility factor clearly doesn't always kick in, however much we would expect/want it to...

Because guinea pigs are cheaper/more readily available/ relatively low-maintenance (compared with tropical fish and turtles) I am concerned this film will mean many more guineas in rescue. But I guess until humans start behaving rationally/compassionately, whatever anthropomorphic films are made about, some poor animals will suffer....:(

This is exactly how I feel and you worded it so well.

i think its down to the parents if they are stupid enough to let them have a piggie after a film and its there responsibitly to explained that the film is made up to look good and make money. saying that for years my daughter was asking for a mouse or gerbil my partner kept saying no . then my partner went to his brothers and he had to piggies came home and said we were having 2 so after years of saying no to a mouse we were suddenly getting 2 piggies he built a hutch and daughter holds them and feeds some times be hey ho its me who cleans them lets them out brings them in . so forget what i said above because some adults are as bad as children lol:(|)

Someone mentioned on another thread that people aren't stupid, that obviously a CGI'd butt-kicking special agent guinea pig is clearly not in existance - no, of course - but what they might see is a cute little furry that may live for a year or so and not need that much attention after the initial buzz wears off and be left and almost forgotten at the bottom of a garden in a hutch all alone because the parents didn't think to research them first and foremost. :))

This is the thing that really upsets me if I think about it too much. One poor little piggy stuck alone in a hutch, away from contact with people, no friends, with a little nose against the bars.. just waiting... OMG
I know this happens not just as a result of G Force, but I do think the film will increase kids wanting piggies, and sadly they won't all be cared for. :0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back