Get rid of urine smell

TAV

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Oct 10, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Points
55
Location
NC
I’ve had a guinea pig for seven years. She’s doing great, however, I cannot stand the smell. I tried various bedding and found that the fleece bedding worked quite well. However, I’ve got really old fleece bedding, and it smells intensely of pee. I’ve tried all kinds of ways to try to get rid of the smell. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on something that has worked to get rid of the pee smell from fleece bedding?
 
Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m sorry her bedding is smelly.

A couple of things come to mind:

If it’s a recent smell maybe she has a UTI? So a trip to the vets would be in order.

I use white vinegar as a softener in my washing machine to deodorise my bedding.

Is her weight stable?
 
  • Like
Reactions: TAV
Welcome to the forum

If it is just the fleece which smells, then Adding some white vinegar in the wash can help but you do have to be careful as long term use may damage the washing machine.

If it really won’t come out then it may be that new fleece is needed
 
Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m sorry her bedding is smelly.

A couple of things come to mind:

If it’s a recent smell maybe she has a UTI? So a trip to the vets would be in order.

I use white vinegar as a softener in my washing machine to deodorise my bedding.

Is her weight stable?
Hi there, thanks for the response. I always use vinegar when I wash my bedding so that it wakes away moisture. I don’t think she has a UTI but I’ll keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if I suspect. Historically, guinea pig pee always smells to me. Maybe I need to wash my fleece and hot or cold. I’ve tried both not sure what’s recommended. And how do you feel about paper bedding? I’ve tried it often on for years. The fleece bedding is definitely more budget friendly.
 
It needs to be washed on the warmer side rather than cold to be able to kill the bacteria

How often are you changing the fleece?
Do you use smaller pee pads in high traffic areas so these can be removed daily thus often meaning you can get an extra couple of days out of the main fleece

My piggies live in a shed so I have always used disposable bedding (wood shavings and hay) and never find any smells. (i do use fleece if they have to come inside but I really don’t like the additional washing of fleece).
 
I don’t find that my fleece smells at all.

I have newspaper, then a fleece liner, then bobble bath mats on top.

I change the bath mats every two days and a full clean every 6 days. I wash on 40 with vinegar instead of softener.
 
I’ve used paper bedding a long time ago and found the Kaytee clean and cost worked well, was really absorbent and didn’t smell. The white one was good as it was easy to spot pees and poops for spot cleaning.
You do need a lot though for a decent sized cage - and it works out very expensive!
 
Back
Top