• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Getting Closer To Readiness

Mantha16

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok So, so far I have bought a cage (chrimbo present from the hubster) 2 water bottles 2 fleece blankets a giant tube bedding and food. Still to get

Hay tray
Hay
Cosies
Toys/things to chew
Puppy pads

Oh yes and two guinea pigs. I know it will be worth it when I have the little squeakers but I realised I think I have less requirements when I move to a new home :D

Ok So, so far I have bought a cage (chrimbo present from the hubster) 2 water bottles 2 fleece blankets a giant tube bedding and food. Still to get

Hay tray
Hay
Cosies
Toys/things to chew
Puppy pads

Oh yes and two guinea pigs. I know it will be worth it when I have the little squeakers but I realised I think I have less requirements when I move to a new home :D

Hi! Forget about chewing toys and expensive shop toys! Guinea pig back teeth are worn down by the silica in hay while the front teeth are self-sharpening in a healthy dental system.
You can find tried and tested toy ideas and also a list of dangerous cage accessories/toys via our new owners' guide: New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection

Hi! Forget about chewing toys and expensive shop toys! Guinea pig back teeth are worn down by the silica in hay while the front teeth are self-sharpening in a healthy dental system.
You can find tried and tested toy ideas and also a list of dangerous cage accessories/toys via our new owners' guide: New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection

Toys? I actually wish my pigs had chewed on them. "Instead that nice 15 buck toys that was took 2 weeks to get here. Let play with the boxes instead." - my guinea pigs.

Oooh exciting! When's the big day when you choose your piggies? :yahoo:
well here's the dilemma my local rescue is closed for Christmas so I don't know if they currently have piggies. I'm pro rescue but there's the temptation to buy in two weeks when I'll have everything so I'm undecided

Toys? I actually wish my pigs had chewed on them. "Instead that nice 15 buck toys that was took 2 weeks to get here. Let play with the boxes instead." - my guinea pigs.
I'm pretty sure the toys will be entirely for me to squee over rather than the pigs to plays with lol

well here's the dilemma my local rescue is closed for Christmas so I don't know if they currently have piggies. I'm pro rescue but there's the temptation to buy in two weeks when I'll have everything so I'm undecided
Lucky The closest shelter is an hour away. :(

Hay tray
Hay
Cosies
Toys/things to chew
Puppy pads

Ooh can I see your cage?:)

Lucky The closest shelter is an hour away. :(
it's not a pig specific one but a very good animal rescue (all creatures great and small Cwmbran ) theres a pig rescue in neath but my car isnt up to the two hour drive there and they like you tovisit a few times first so a piggy train isn't practical

cages was an easy choice for me simply due to space bedding on the other hand ...

Bedding haha. After I looked at fleece liners I never went back. Can't wait for summer so much free time to spoil my pets. Plus my dad is going to help me build a new cage. :clap:

Well, it is ALWAYS worth waiting, but then I am dealing with all the unplanned pregnancies and fallen out shop baby boars once they hit the teenage months on a daily basis on this forum... Not to mention all the ringworm threads we've had this year from new shop piggies! :(

I also find that deferred gratification and a solid preparation enhances the experience. ;)
Most rescues will re-open again next week, so it is not exactly a very long wait.

I’d always wait for a rescue pair rather than buying pet shop piggies. Rescue piggies from one of our approved rescues are all vet checked, properly sexed, handled and their personalities identified. Pet shop piggies come mainly from professional or hobby breeders. They are often mis-sexed, or separated too late resulting in further unplanned pregnancies. We see this with alarming regularity. We also see them sold with illnesses such as skin conditions, eye or ear injuries and also respiratory infections. Definitely worth waiting for a rescue pair.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things! Much easier to research and plan for before they arrive than try to catch up afterwards :)

Mine are more than happy with a paper bag (a Primary one will do) stuffed with hay! Or a cardboard box. Carrot cottages are a fab treat too. They also like loo rolls cut down one side and filled with hay with a treat like pieces of veg hidden in the middle.

Mine are more than happy with a paper bag (a Primary one will do) stuffed with hay! Or a cardboard box. Carrot cottages are a fab treat too. They also like loo rolls cut down one side and filled with hay with a treat like pieces of veg hidden in the middle.
I’m a bit disappointed with my girls. We made them a lovely long kitchen roll tube filled with special hay & hidden veggies. But they’ve been so polite not wanting to be the first to go for it they’ve not bothered. Heidi took one look and her face said...”I’m not going to embarrass myself with that thing” so she didn’t bother. And if she doesn’t bother, nor do the other two. Such polite girls. Such a surprise to me. Bit disappointing really :nod::no: x

Back