• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

getting some guinea pigs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolaa

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here and I'm getting two guinea pigs this week or next! :))
I just need some advice as its been a while since i kept piggies and also what bedding i should use anything that is useful!

hiyah welcome.

Oh how blooming exciting, i bet you cant wait??

Theres loads of info round the forum, bedding is very much a personal choice type thing i think. I have had mine on wood shavings, megazorb and shredded paper. I think out of the 3 i prefer megazorb and looking for somewhere to get it from and i will hopefully go back to it.

Have you got them from a rescue?

Hi,

How exciting!:))

I use fleece bedding but it all depends on your budget, and what you prefer:))

well in my dog crate i would like fleece to cover the bottom then them to use the litter tray.
I'm getting two sisters from a local rescue :)) i really cant wait!
I will have to have a look at the petshop for megazorb lots of people use this for rabbits too :))

I was talking to an older lady serving me in morrison's friday and she told me her friend year's ago used to work for rspca when they knew nothing about piggie's they said if no one took the abandond one's they were going to be put down so she took them and didnt know anything about them and was told to feed them on bran and tea leave's! she said they lived for 5 years tho, but don't feed them that lol, i use fleece bedding mine have hay 24/7 veggies every night 3/5 different type's and i feed them museli but try to tempt them with nugget's, readigrass,barely ring's as treat's

I was talking to an older lady serving me in morrison's friday and she told me her friend year's ago used to work for rspca when they knew nothing about piggie's they said if no one took the abandond one's they were going to be put down so she took them and didnt know anything about them and was told to feed them on bran and tea leave's! she said they lived for 5 years tho, but don't feed them that lol, i use fleece bedding mine have hay 24/7 veggies every night 3/5 different type's and i feed them museli but try to tempt them with nugget's, readigrass,barely ring's as treat's

omg ha ha ha !! :))

awww lovely, have you got names for them?

well they are called patch and sophie but i like madison and matilda!
I already have three house rabbits all with their own rooms and 2 little hamsters :)) i have a spare room and lots of time so when i seen these at the rescue i said yes i will try and get some photos on :(|)

awww thats wicked, how lovely, they are very lucky.

Will defo look forward to the pics x

(bunnies and hammies pics too tho?)

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Have a look in our housing section for different options. Personally, I use fleece, but not everybody likes it.

How old are your two girls? You may find that the bars in your dog crate are spaced too wide and that they could get stuck, especially if they are youngsters.

Guinea pigs can eat quite a range of veg, fresh herbs and fruit. Ideally, their diet should be mainly fibre based.
- 50-80% of the diet should be unlimited hay.
- topped up bowl of pellets until they ar 6-9 months old, then slowly reduced to the hanful or half per piggy per day they should have as fully grown adults from 12-15 months onwards.
- 50g/1 cupful of mixed veg per piggy per day in as many servings as you like.
- fresh water daily

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your piggies. Please do not hesitate to post any questions you may have in the appropriate section and you will get an answer quickly.

Yey! I'm same as you I had pigs years ago & just got 2 baby boys 3 weeks ago. It's a fab decision you won't regret! I use fleece bedding with 2 towels underneath, first time I've ever used fleece & would highly recommend ;) xx

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Have a look in our housing section for different options. Personally, I use fleece, but not everybody likes it.

How old are your two girls? You may find that the bars in your dog crate are spaced too wide and that they could get stuck, especially if they are youngsters.

Guinea pigs can eat quite a range of veg, fresh herbs and fruit. Ideally, their diet should be mainly fibre based.
- 50-80% of the diet should be unlimited hay.
- topped up bowl of pellets until they ar 6-9 months old, then slowly reduced to the hanful or half per piggy per day they should have as fully grown adults from 12-15 months onwards.
- 50g/1 cupful of mixed veg per piggy per day in as many servings as you like.
- fresh water daily

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your piggies. Please do not hesitate to post any questions you may have in the appropriate section and you will get an answer quickly.

Thank you so much thats all great info! :))
They were born in may so around 7 months old and are stunning, I'm putting plastic around the crate to block out any drafts and to stop them from getting stuck :)
The cage has a lino base and i want the fleece in there to keep them warm:(|)
I feed my buns only hay so thats not a problem and i will be introducing them to pellets when i get them :))

This is Patch- Now named Madison
164835_132235990170897_100001534913720_192220_910612_n.jpg

This is Sophie- Now named Matilda
156915_132236000170896_100001534913720_192221_3902315_n.jpg

They're adorable! How exciting~
They really do change your life completely :)) It's amazing. Getting piggies is something you'll never regret, they're the funniest pets I've ever had...Little fools yet intelligent all at the same time :(|)

I really cant wait, any ideas on how long they should be out of their cage for?
I know i have the rabbits out from 9am til 11pm, i have a spare run and two wire free rooms :)

Hellooo stranger! :(|) Its RampantRabbits (Sophia) :)

WHYY didnt i know about these piggies? :o :)) What sort of accomodation are you thinking of? Not much i can help with, I'm pretty new here too, had piggies for ages, but ive finally opened my eyes, if you know what i mean :)

I want pictures on facebook when you get them! :) xx

Your piggies are beautiful! Very striking markings!

You will need some ventilation in your indoors cage or you will get problems with fungal. A bit of air breathing fabric is better to wrap around if you are worried about noses getting stuck. Run time is as much as you can spare; I am sure that you will work out a daily routine soon!

We have a motley collection of threads that try to answer some of the most often asked questions in our reference section. You may find some ideas for cheap toys and other newbie information in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back