• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Girlie Monthly & Strange Noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephaniecham

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello fellow Piggy owners,

I have a question, I have two female Gpigs, who are coming up to a year old now. I don't know which one is doing this but I am finding blood stained sawdust. This has been going on for about 2-3 weeks now. I have read that it is normal for female Gpigs to go through this cycle as with any female species. I would of thought it would of passed by now?
Also my biggest Gpig "Agnes", has been making very strange noises.. it sounds like whooping... I picked her up to check her nose and eyes, and it sounded as if she was chesty or something. Her nose and eyes are totally fine, when I walked with her, she almost sounded like when you get something stuck to your car wheel... noise getting faster as you walk faster. She has since stopped making this noise... but I have never heard it before. It was a little concerning to say the least. She is eating fine and drinking fine....Has anyone else's Piggy's made this noise?

Kind regards
A very concerned Piggy Mum.

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Piggies do not have 'periods' any sight of blood in urine is a bad sign.
I would advise you take a vet visit if this has been going on a long time! Right away!

Please also take your second pig to the vet just in case. Best of luck.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Piggies don't have periods so any blood is not a normal thing at all. It possibly could be a Urinary Tract Infection or a number of other issues. Does anyone make a cry when weeing or pooing?

Also as the whooping noise could be a Respiratory tract Infection, the vet will be able to listen to there chest and check that out for you. Antibiotics often soon clear these up. Vimto had one the other week and apart from the crackle was fine in herself.

Whereabouts are you, we may be able to suggest a cavy savy vet. Try not to worry, you have caught these things early.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Please have both girls vet checked to make sure that they are OK.

The blood is most likely cause by a urinary tract problem (UTI or urinary tract infection, bladder sludge or a stone). Sows do not have seasonal bleeds.
Although the chesty noise has gone, I would still recommended to have her checked for URI (respiratory tract infection) to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.